Thread: Prop for a StealthWake w/12t motor

Default Prop for a StealthWake w/12t motor

Hey all. My stock motor died, so I'm just putting a 12t brushed motor in it for now. I'm looking to upgrade the prop, but I'm not sure what would work well with this motor. I did some searching and found suggestions for an x438, but that was for brushless setup. I wasn't sure if that'd work well with the 12t brushed motor, or if I should go larger or smaller? The stock prop is almost 41mm (1.6") and has a 1/8 shaft. Thanks!

How many turns was the stock motor, do you know? It's been awhile since I messed with brushed motors. I going to guess that maybe it was either a 20 turn or a 27 turn motor. If it was either the 12 turn motor is going to be a lot hotter of a set up. That would mean a smaller prop for sure. Is an x438 small enough, I have no way of knowing. For the 1/8 shaft a x438 used to be the biggest one octura made. Probably still is. Another consideration is your speed control. If the stock motor was pretty mild ( high # of turns )
    then a 12 turn motor is going to pull a LOT more juice. Be careful or be ready to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    How many turns was the stock motor, do you know? It's been awhile since I messed with brushed motors. I going to guess that maybe it was either a 20 turn or a 27 turn motor. If it was either the 12 turn motor is going to be a lot hotter of a set up. That would mean a smaller prop for sure. Is an x438 small enough, I have no way of knowing. For the 1/8 shaft a x438 used to be the biggest one octura made. Probably still is. Another consideration is your speed control. If the stock motor was pretty mild ( high # of turns )
    then a 12 turn motor is going to pull a LOT more juice. Be careful or be ready to upgrade.
    According to this review, the stock motor is a 15T, so the 12T won't be a huge upgrade. But it will be a little better. The stock ESC goes down to 12T on 2S, which is what I run in it.

Sounds like you might be OK then. The x438 or your stock prop will probably work. With the larger prop first time out bring it in after a minute or so and check the temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    Sounds like you might be OK then. The x438 or your stock prop will probably work. With the larger prop first time out bring it in after a minute or so and check the temperature.
    Well, first time out didn't end well. It seemed fine at first, but eventually the boat stopped and the motor wouldn't respond. The rudder servo was working, though. So I grabbed it out of the water and one of the leads on the motor de-soldered because it got so hot. I really need to invest in an infrared thermometer.

The engine is just a cheap chinese motor, 'KingVal' 12t. The store page says it's rated at 26k rpm, but I have no way of verifying that. At this point I either need to start playing prop roulette, or just find the stock motor in stock somewhere (looks like it's discontinued). The stock motor is a Dynamite 15t 550 motor (PN: DYNS1215).

I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into this since I don't use it very often, but I need to figure something out. My son and I had a blast while it was working.

Here's the motor data sheet for reference:
    51OImSklibL._SL1024_.jpg

Unfortunately, the stock 550 brushed motor in the Stealthwake doesn't last very long unless you run in cold water! I burned up 3 brushed motors over 2 summers before going brushless. I have 2 Stealthwakes and the easiest way to go to get better reliability and a little more speed is a 90amp ESC and if you run a 2s battery, a 3650 or 3660 motor around 200 to 2600KV. I did that and for both. With an adapter you can run the stock prop shaft and leave it like that until you want to upgrade further.
    I have links in my signature below if you want to see what I did with mine.
    Info and pictures about our Invincible Razor build, Lindberg PT Boats; Racing Runabout; Pro Boat Stealthwake and more! Plus videos of our boats including upgrades, repairs, etc.