Thread: Possible Scam alert

Question Possible Scam alert

If i inquire publicly about item's for sale I keep getting DMs from members saying if you want the same part email such and such and its always gmail email address and they are new members that sign up on the day i inquirer. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

Please provide me the username(s) so I can investigate.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I have experienced this. Definitely a scam. The first time, I e-mailed the address, and the pictures they sent back of the hull I was looking for, were the old stock photos from when the hull was still in production. At that point, I cut off communications.

We?ve had the same issues on the nitro site when ever someone is looking for something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I just got something similar from a jpumpyscott gave me a phone number to text for pictures. He was responding to my wanted to buy listing. But yet has no posts and joined on the 4th of June...
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

Also has a California/Canada (CA) tag for his location but gave me a New Jersey number....
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

Yep same here.

robib27800 Thomaspeterson0561@gmail.com

Scammer DM
    Hi

If you?re still interested in getting the SSS 4082 Brushless motor W/ HRC Cooler + 8mm Castle Bullets. I have a friend who can help you out with that. It?s affordable and here?s his gmail address

deetoone00@gmail.com

Cheers ��

Quote Originally Posted by Namba328 View Post
    I just got something similar from a jpumpyscott gave me a phone number to text for pictures. He was responding to my wanted to buy listing. But yet has no posts and joined on the 4th of June...
    I just got a message from him too offering to sell me a new ESC that I posted in the want adds. Its becoming so common across all the forums that I just ignore them now.
    Team Liquid Dash

I got a responce from jpumpyscott for a motor and I was leary of no post and he was too hard to deal with.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

I?ve seen this on other forums I?m on as well

Since we're on this subject on SCAM ALERT. .when I inquired about purchasing the 130A HV from mappo on June 3rd, another junior member, Beerah,
    referred me to another person saying he has one and gave me his email. I did contact that person and our conversation went well until it was time to pay. . .doesn't have PayPal. He even wanted to lower the price we agreed on just so I would pay other than PayPal. I didn't want to report this because I figured he just wanted to help but, now that I think of it, I figured I might as well report this new member, Beerah, who joined on June 7 just to reach out to me.

Beerah

This is happening on multiple different sites I belong to, as soon as someone posts a want ad they get these scam messages.

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Got another one yesterday. Presumably because I commented on a post selling a pitch gauge. Sender has 0 posts on this forum, and joined a month ago.

OSE Spam.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
    Got another one yesterday. Presumably because I commented on a post selling a pitch gauge. Sender has 0 posts on this forum, and joined a month ago.

OSE Spam.jpg
    Should ask him a skill testing question lol

Namba District 16

And not respond via pm as in the rules!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by norcalkilla View Post
    If i inquire publicly about item's for sale I keep getting DMs from members saying if you want the same part email such and such and its always gmail email address and they are new members that sign up on the day i inquirer. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
    Getting the same thing happening to me on other groups as well. Then the other person will say that he or a friend has the item but, doesn't have PayPal or he's having issues with his PayPal account for some reason. blah blah blah. .but, he'll do cash app, zelle some other way and even go through all the lengths to try to explain to me in details that I'm getting the same protection that PayPal offers because cash app and Zelle is now owned by PayPal. In fact the person says that if my bank offers Zelle then, I'm protected through fraud because my bank will handle it. Finally, when I refuse to pay other than PayPal, he'll drop the price a little lower or I can pay half and he'll send the item and when I get it and I'm satisfied with it, I can send the other half. So, yes there are definitely scammers out there reading wanted ads on rc groups, then join the group so that they could offer me what I'm looking for.