Thread: Questions for a 1st P Class build

Default Questions for a 1st P Class build

Having got hooked by my first FE (a Sonicwake 36 V2 from OSE) I am thinking about building "my own" boat. I am focusing on either the OSE M34 Raider or the Seaducer SD34 hull. I'm totally new to FE boats, have some questions, and hope someone will respond.
    1 - Is a fiberglass M34 less prone to damage in a crash than carbon fiber?
    2 - I've read about people who add extra CF to the bottom of their CF hulls - is that necessary?
    3 - What kv should the Leopard motor be in an M34?
    4 - I cannot find any documentation with installation details, dimensions, and hardware lists for setting up either hull - is such documentation available? (EDIT: just found setup info on SD site - dah!)

Just a note: I normally build scale boats and found OSE when I began to get curious about FE. I have to say OSE is superb. Steve has been very patient with questions. When you make a purchase, he ships almost immediately!!
    Last edited by Timothy L; 06-13-2022 at 09:51 AM. Reason: New info

For hardware I would ask OSE for recommendations. The KV of the motor will depend on the type of voltage batteries you plan on running and what speed/runtimes you are looking for. For instance if you want to run 6s you would probably want a motor in the 1500kv range. If you want longer run times you would run 2 packs in parallel which would keep voltage the same but double capacity. Running in series would double voltage but keep same capacity of each battery. Lowering kv would also increase run times but lower speed and vice versa. Wanna keep you voltage times kv around 25-35000 rpm.

1. Typically, the CF Raider is less prone to damage. In fact, I took a hit from one last week during a race. Put a hole in my boat and almost no damage to the CF Raider.
    2. A CF inlay is for strength, which helps in a crash, but also adds rigidity that can greatly help handling if it's a flimsy hull. Whether you need it or not, depends both on the hull in question and your preference. For the two hulls you've mentioned, I would say no inlay is needed except for maybe on the hatch of the Raider.
    3. Around the 1800-2200kv range is typical for a P class boat. You can typically prop a P class boat properly for a competitive speed with kv values in that range.
    4. You've found the info for the SD4. I bet if you ask OSE or search on this forum, you can find plenty of options for the Raider as well.

You've picked two really good hulls. I own a CF M34 Raider, and it's a great boat. Many of them race in P Mono in my club as well and are good performers. Seaducer also makes great boats. I haven't seen the new SD4 hull, but if it's an improvement on the SD3 hull as claimed, things can only get better. I have placed an order for the new 39" SD4 hull from Seaducer to build for Q Mono myself.

Based purely on the design, is go work the M34. Not that the Seaducer isn't a good boat (don't own either...yet...so can't say), but there's just "something" about the M34.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Thank you all for the excellent input. I found the comment on the CF hull strength surprising and good news - lighter, stronger!
    I just ordered an SD34. I believe either hull would be top notch but the M34 will not be available in my color choice for around 8 weeks and the SD34 has a metal flake/two color option which I like.
    I gather P class racing in New England is not to common - so seeking any input on events or active racing groups near Massachusetts. Thank you all again for your help.

From NAMBA web site. You might want to contact Brian

District Director
    Name: Brian Sorgente
    Phone
    Email: dd11@namba.com
    Web Site: namba11.com

District Clubs
    Greater Hartford Model Boat Club
    None

Wake Makers R/C Boat Club
    None

Lakes Region Wave Runners