Thread: q-sport cable size

Default q-sport cable size

what size cable is everyone using on there 6s/Q sports? Im setting up a buddy of mine with everything he needs to order to build his and this is the only thing im not 100% sure of. It's a whiplash 45, tp 4070 8mm 1520kv, xlx2, 6s2p. lmk thanks.
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

My sons whip sport 40 is using a3/16 cable with no problems .
    :canada

Running that motor in a rigger on 6S we have lost a few props to cable and shaft breakage using a .187 cable. This was in 2 lap record competition and 5-7 watts. Diameters over 56mm were part of it. A .250 shaft would be better for extreme conditions but limit prop selection and take some power loss. A step down .250 to .187 prop shaft would be the weak point and no better than a full .187 Go with a quality .187 and you should be fine.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Tommy normally I would suggest a good welded 3/16" cable for heat racing. 3/16" is OK if you are running higher KV and smaller props. 1/4 cable is very robust but also sucks quite a few more watts to drive.

If you have have a very gentle bend radius I would suggest going to a wire drive. Brent Byers is now making .098 and .125 wire to 3/16" stub shafts. He also has both options with 1/4" stub stepped down to 3/16" stubs shafts.

I am running a .125" wire to a 1/4"-3/16" step down stub shaft on my Q mono and am pushing 9kW and props up to 65mm.

Wire drive stubs 2.jpg
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

I appreciate all the info. He probably won't need to go anything over a x452 tbh. Another local guy is running the exact same setup with a x452 and it's so fast he's afraid to stay in it lol. For those of you who know it's Alfred Lanza previous owner of leecraft boats. Long time racer lol. And he's scared to hold it down for the whole run lol. To say it's not fast enough is tbh a on going joke around these parts lol.
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Tommy normally I would suggest a good welded 3/16" cable for heat racing. 3/16" is OK if you are running higher KV and smaller props. 1/4 cable is very robust but also sucks quite a few more watts to drive.

If you have have a very gentle bend radius I would suggest going to a wire drive. Brent Byers is now making .098 and .125 wire to 3/16" stub shafts. He also has both options with 1/4" stub stepped down to 3/16" stubs shafts.

I am running a .125" wire to a 1/4"-3/16" step down stub shaft on my Q mono and am pushing 9kW and props up to 65mm.

Wire drive stubs 2.jpg
    Wholly Cow!
    Nortavlag Bulc