Thread: Castle XLX2 water cooled installation

Default Castle XLX2 water cooled installation

Does anyone have any experience or can give me any guidance on how to install this castle XLX2 with the water cooling and mounting plates. I can’t find any videos online and the owners manual gives no instructions. It looks like there are some cooling fins underneath the plastic cover once you remove the fan on top that would need to be removed so the cooling plate can go in but they are epoxied in. The last two pics I posted are from StumpFab’s website and they clearly show the cooling plate in place of where the cooling fins are currently. Thanks in advance Jeff

Lol I scrolled down several posts right after I posted this and see an excellent post by RaceMechaniX detailing everything I need to know it looks like. Thank you

Actually, I took pics along the way when I did my first one.

Break off the fins, it?s pretty easy to do, even with your fingers. Just rock them back and forth a few times.

Sand it flat. I did it with a Dremel. Some roughness will actually increase surface area therefore increasing heat transfer.

Use some thermal paste with a high heat transfer coefficient. I got this off of McMaster Carr.

Put it on the ESC and heatsink, and clamp it down to get it on there good.

That?s as far as my pics went, but I also put a small bead of epoxy around the edge of the heatsink and ESC just to lock them together.

Thanks for the posts I have finished mine and installed it in boat. The question I have is there are two plugs coming off the ESC that go to the receiver one is the throttle and I thought I read somewhere that the other one needs to get plugged into an empty channel on the receiver ?

The other plug is for data logging, and requires a USB adapter.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Always helps to read the instructions.

RX Wire
    Plug the RX wire into the throttle (#2) channel on your receiver.

AUX Wire
    The AUX wire allows you to adjust a setting ?on-the-fly? using an auxiliary channel on your receiver. The AUX wire function is disabled by default and is programmable via Castle Link. Plug this wire into the auxiliary (#3/#4) channel on your receiver.
    You MUST connect the AUX wire to an open channel on your receiver even if you are not using the Auxiliary function.

WARNING: You must disconnect the AUX wire from your radio before connecting to Castle Link. Failure to do so may result in damage to your Castle Link and/or computer.

Yes thanks jk I thought I had read that somewhere