Thread: ESC water nipples

Default ESC water nipples

I'v had a couple of people ask me where I get the brass nipples that I put in my ESC cooling caps. So I thought that I would post it here incase there are others that would like to make some.

I'm using 5/32 K&S brass tubing, but you could do it with any size tubing, you'd just have to make the tools to fit your size. While I used a lathe to make my tools, you could make them using a drill press.

Here are all the tools. All made from scrap pieces of metal from my "scrap pile" and one drill bit.

DSC_0001.jpg

Drill a hole through a piece of steel, and put a small chamfer on one end of the hole, we'll call this the base. The thickness of the metal will partially determine the length of the nipple. And to long is actually better because then you can cut it to the proper length after it's made. The hole on the right is for making the nipple, and where I store the ram, and the one on the left is for storing the push out ram, so I don't misplace them.

DSC_0002.jpg

We'll call this part a ram. Use steel again and bore a hole through it with a bit that fits the ID of the tubing that you are going to use. For the 5/32 tubing that would be an 1/8" bit. Now using the same drill bit that you bore the hole thorough the base, drill into the 1/8 inch hole in the ram. Go in only say an 1/8 inch. This will make the end of the nipple, the part before the "bump". Put a slight chamfer to this hole too. It helps in forming the bump.
    Last edited by donhuff; 03-11-2022 at 09:48 AM.

To make the rod part of the ram. I take that 1/8" bit and break or dremel the end off. I hold in place with a couple of grub screws, and you'll set the length later, as it needs to go the full length of the tubing to keep the tubing from collapsing inward.

DSC_0003.jpg

You'll have to cut a few pieces to determine the proper length to make your tubes, before forming. But probably a 1/16 to an 1/8 gap between base and ram bottom will get you a good bulge. Trial and error, but remember to keep up with the length of the tube before you ram it.

DSC_0004.jpg

Then press, and it takes a bit of force, I use an arbor press from harbor freight. DO NOT anneal the brass first to make it easier, it just doesn't work well that way.

DSC_0005.jpg

Simple isn't it.

DSC_0006.jpg

Now you'll need another ram that is the same OD as the tubing, or slightly smaller diameter will make it easier. You'll have to use this to push the finished part out of the base. It helps to have the tip 1/4" of this ram reduced in diameter, so that it fits inside of the tubing. That way you don't have to hold it exactly in place, it holds it's self.

BTW you will need to make the hole in the ram and base relatively smooth, or you'll never get the tubing back out after compressing as the entire length of the tube does enlarge a little under the pressure, to match the size of the holes. A little lapping compound on a piece of tubing in a drill will slick up the ID of the holes.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

And there's your finished nipple!

Awesome!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thank YOU DON.
    Looks like I have machining to do.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Thanks for sharing Don!