Thread: Resto/ID Questions About an Old Dumas Tunnel Boat

Default Resto/ID Questions About an Old Dumas Tunnel Boat

First post, so i apologize if I'm not in the right spot! I have a couple of questions for anyone that messes with these old Dumas tunnel boats, though! I'd like to do a small resto/update on this one but I'm not really sure where to start.

For starters I'll show you the boat:

ueDIwTX.jpg6npmQcf.jpg3zCRd6F.jpgtuVjZh3.jpg

She looks rough, but overall, the hull seems to be in very good shape. Other than the missing cover and improvised waterproof lid I think she'll clean up great! The K&B outboard is faired a bit less well but I'm sure it would be possible to restore with some hard work.

My questions so far are:
    1.) Is there a specific method I should use to strip off the paint from the fiberglass? (this is my most pressing concern so far) I'm leaning towards solvents rather than abrasives, but I want to make sure what i use will not damage the hull.
    2.) I'd like to swap the power system to LiPo, but I would also like to keep the hull in its original config as well, so i want to stick with an outboard motor. Are there specific motor/mount setups anyone that more-or-less match the power/config of a 3.5 K&B like the one on this boat? I'm looking at https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=ose-80915-v2 for the mount, but selecting a motor for a larger boat like this is outside of my area of expertise!
    3.) Does anyone know the model/name of this Dumas hull kit? I'd love to try and find a cowl for it, or at the very least put my eyes on the look of the original so i can design/3D print one.

Thanks for any thoughts you guys might have!

You sure that is a fiberglass hull? Looks like I see wood inside. For starters I would remove any hardware. Also pull all that tape off of it (blue and the yellow strips). If you use a chemical stripper I would do a small test spot and see how it goes so you don't ruin anything.

The hull exterior is definitely fiberglass, though you're also correct that the internal structure is wood. I think this kit was originally sold as a top and bottom piece of fiberglass with some wood for stringers/the radio box, but I'm not super familiar with Dumas tunnel boats.

That's defintiely a good first step I think, thanks! Right now I'm actually working on removing stickers and that tape with just some gentle scraping with a soft wood tool. Doing a test spot with solvents is a good idea as well. I still haven't had much luck determining exactly what solvents to try that are likely to be safe yet (lots of the info I'm finding online is conflicting, and this is old fiberglass), but I might try some gentler ones in a small spot.

The main thing thats goin for me on paint removal so far is the fact that this original paint is already flaking off on thwe major flats. I might be able to get away with light sanding on the other spots as I think thats proper practice before priming on fiberglass anyway (though it's a tad hard to put sandpaper to this old boat, I have to admit.) The original builder did not seem to do that, nor did they seem to prime the hull, so who knows! I may get lucky and all the paint will flake off nicely.

If you have any autobody shops near you you could stop by one with the hull and ask them what chemical stripper might work good. Seeing something like your boat doesn't come around to often and they might be fascinated by it . Ya never know.

Seleno,
    What are going to do with the 3.5 nitro power head if you go eletrical on that lower unit?
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrobreath View Post
    Seleno,
    What are going to do with the 3.5 nitro power head if you go eletrical on that lower unit?
    Ron
    I'm not totally sure! Ideally, I'd sell or trade it for a used component for the new power system. I'm sure its not worth much, but every bit helps!

It's a classic and I'd really love to see it go to someone that's try and fix it up to run!

Here's some progress on the paint removal as well! (I had to wait a bit for a lead paint test kit to come in before I got too serious.) It's slow-going and tedious work but the fiberglass is in great shape overall! Some spots I'll definitely have to work on, but i think shes watertight.

From lookin around i think its an early Dumas Hot Shot, but i'm not sure. The shape of mine seems slightly different. Most of the Hot Shots I see around are either wood or the newer ABS models. This one is a fiberglass model from the late 70's if I were to guess.

IMG_8512.jpgIMG_8511.jpg

Seleno,
    I'm 65 and when I was 16 I built a tunnel called a Klamp on Kai. It had a 3.5 K&B mounted. I gave it to a father & son back in the 90's. They gave it back to me without the motor (blew it up) anyway been looking for one for it. NITRO is DEAD so it would be for a wall hanger. If you do sell it let me know.
    Ron

Oh wow that's a really neat story, Ron! It's a shame about the motor, but I bet they had a blast with it before that happpened. I'm glad you still have the boat at least, too!

I would definitely have interest in selling it to you, but I will admit I'm having trouble knowing what to ask. I thought finding info on old plane nitro gear was hard, but boats are somethin else, haha. I don't think it's worth a ton.

I'm open to offers if you want to shoot me a PM, and if I can nail down a price I'll let ya know. The motor is not in amazing shape, I wanna be clear! But i do think it would clean up with some TLC.

WR7DA8f.jpgEoqHuMU.jpgxuEOZJi.jpghQmrqJG.jpg

Those pictures do show a lot of questionable condition. Rust and corrosion and broken stability plate. Like I said wall hanger. Come up with a price and let me know.
    Ron