Thread: shovel nose hydro hull design question

Default shovel nose hydro hull design question

Hey guys, recently purchased a shovel nose hydroplane hull for an electric build and noticed the runners aren't completely flat like what is typically seen (or at least what I typically see when looking at these types of hulls ..I am rather new to rc boats, tho). This hull has these skinny rail type runners and I was just curious if there's any pros/cons to this design or if it's meant for a specific type of setup/build, like maybe it's an older gas hull design or something, or just an older design in general. Any info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I haven't received it yet, but these are some pics from seller. Red hull has the rail type runners, white hull shown with flat runners for comparison. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by woods153; 02-22-2022 at 05:55 PM.

That is about the strangest sponson shape that I have seen. I don't think that it will get up on a plane. But, I could be wrong.

So you can install your own ride pads on it I assume.
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Yes You would have to get a popular board about 1/2" wide and shape to fit the boat's bottom sponson. Glue it to the what he has now. Once in place shape to conform e ridding pads looking like a normal sponson shape. I would keep the sponson depth at about 1/2" at the rear of the sponsons.

Just my 2cents
    Tom