Thread: soldering

Default soldering

Of my four boats (zonda twin, MC, blackjackv'3, and a unknown hydro that runs 6s) I only use EC5's. Use 2s to 6s depending on which boat running at the time.

Here's the deal, most of the smaller wire diameters (whether they be batteries or ESC's) I need to 'fill' up the connecter with solder to make the connection. Yes, I do tin the wire ends before soldering.
    What I have understood (per internet, you gotta believe everything on the net haha) solder is not a good conductive of electricity. So that may become a heat problem and not able to get the most out of the motors.

Just wondering, if you get different size copper tubing's (one fit inside each other and soldered in, like plumbers do) from the connector down be reasonable size for the wire to be used be beneficial.

Thanks,
    John

I use spare strands of solid copper salvaged from cat6 wire i bring home from work. I wrap it around the end of the wire to be soldered to increase the diameter to create a closer tolerance connection. I tin that, then go about my standard soldering procedure with the connector. I use a silver solder with low tin content for better conductivity. I've also started folding my motor wire ends in half to fill more of the connector cup with solid wire and less solder.

On a similar note, I use the same solid copper wire to bind multiple wires together when making splices for things like Y-harnesses and adding capacitor banks.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I have done both tubing and copper wire wrap. The tubing does the job but is a pain to cut to size. On the other hand, I can easily make the wrap to the size I need. So that's my standard procedure now.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/