Thread: Failed ESC 5s

Default Failed ESC 5s

Guys just thought id update you and let you know my ESC seems to have crapped out running 5s

Managed to take it out whilst weve had all this snow and after maybe 5 or 6 runs wot i got the dreaded throttle cutout.... boat ended up driftinmg down river and getting stuck which was only the beginning of my nightmare. This was at 3:30 pm so still light. I ended up quickly driving home to get a rescue boat i have (doh forgot to take with) This also crapped out and ended up getting snagged up. DOwn to argos to try and buy a dingy seeing we where experiencing - 4 temps only to find NO one stocks dingys this time of year..... several hours of worrying knowing i have £450 worth of boats and batteries stuck in the river i managed to find a friend who had a dingy.

SAS mission at 8:30pm to get in the river in the dingy and rescue both my boats.

Looks like the nimhs on my rescue boat drained due to cold. The fastech lipos (1 x 3s and 1 x 2s) seemed to be holding a good charge and still had full rudder controll. Upon insopection at home i found the ESC no longer arming or beeping etc.... after leaving it for an hour or so i now get program beeping and arming beeps but it seems to rev and spin the prop and cut out alomst instantly..... thought it was the same problems i was having before but after re=programming and also trying the throttle hold trick i get a quick burst then the wires esc and motor heat up real quick and the motor no longer spins but i get a pulsing on the wires.... tried a plane esc on the motor and that seems to spin the motor fine so it looks like a fried esc at the moment.

whilst testing i also had a big arching and hissing sound from back of motor with a little puff of smoke... hope the motrs not fried too.

Im in the process of buying a 6s ready esc and see what happens from there. Now im wishing i stuck with the 4s right from the bat 5 and 6s was making the hull real unstable in chop anyways and the pond/river seems to run out real quick anyways...

Its not a great idea to run 2 different packs at once, sounds like you may have fried the ESC

Cool

Puffs of smoke with arcing from a BL motor are never a good sign. I suspect that the motor shorted out and that fried the ESC...or not. Try another motor before throwing out the ESC.

So is it not advisable to run 5S on the boat? I was looking at purchasing a fastech and I already have a brand new 3S1P 5250 30C Maxamps lipo and I was hoping I could just buy an additional 2S1P 5250 30C to match with it. That would give me a 5S setup and I would purchase the programmer for the lipo's which would cut me off when the batteries get low. Is this not a good idea?

Yes, good question to those who know. I was understanding that as long as same brand, same mah and same c rating there was no reason not to mix voltages. Hope this is the case, please confirm anyone.

YES, same brand, mAh, and C rate can be used with different cell count packs.

Snoop, did you try using a different motor with the so deemed bad ESC?
    Last edited by Ub Hauled; 03-13-2009 at 12:07 PM.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    YES, same brand, mAh, and C rate can be used as different cell count packs.

Snoop, did you try using a different motor with the so deemed bad ESC?
    I didnt mate. I now have a seaking 90a ESC it that boat and it works just fine.... looks like the motor made it but the ESC didnt.... That said im not totally convinced the ESC is toast just yet. I didnt get the legendry puff of smoke nor does it have that signature burnt smell. At some point i may continue testing but i have the boat running now and cant be arsed with the old ESC tbh. My new ESC doesnt require a programming card neither and will accept 6s on super bec so im more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Yes, good question to those who know. I was understanding that as long as same brand, same mah and same c rating there was no reason not to mix voltages. Hope this is the case, please confirm anyone.
    I run a 3s and 2s, both 5400 mah, and both 20 c, the cut off keeps my 2s at about 6.9 volts when i plug it back in the charger and my 3s has a higher reading when i plug it into the charger then when i run that same exact battery in my slash with its lipo cut off. Thats just my personal experience.

when you say reading are we talking volts or mah??? you will see a diff in volts between the 2s and 3s but they both should take the same amount of mah charge. Well mine do. If your going to look at the voltage go by "per cell" they prolly cutoff at 3.0v per cell so the 2s will read a total of 6v and the 3s 9v.