Thread: cheetah cat p-cat single setup

Cool cheetah cat p-cat single setup

Looking for ideas on hardware, motor and such. I've got the hull ordered from here, with the intent to oval race in p-cat single. 4s. leaning towards the TP 4050 1950kv. 180 amp hobbywing esc. Hardware setup is in the air. Should I run a Skeg Strut? Like a Speedmaster small cat skeg strut? or not needed. Just would really apricate any advise.
    Thanks Always Guys,
    Wayne

Hello Wayne,

Cheetahs are about as perfect a hull as you can get. For P-Cat it'll make a good choice as it's wider than many of the zoomy straightline cat speedsters commonly available. I built my first one for personal fun/racing and since I'm what could be described as an "overbuilder" I went with the larger Speedmaster skeg strut (which required stepping down the stuffing tube) because it should provide a better bite in the turns - especially when the racewater gets bouncy. Same with the larger Speedmaster rudder, which I cut down some. The ones I built for customers follow the same theme so there won't be any failures due to insufficiently strong components. The RtR Cheetahs I've seen have small bracket-offset rudders which I'm betting don't look so good after a good acrobatic spill.

I originally went with a Neu 1521 1.5D (1890KV) basically because I had one sitting around, but as I became close to the TP Power folks (having the 4050 as the go-to motor for my FE30 clientele) I put a 4060 2040KV in my Cheetah and can go up (so far) to a 450/3 blade or even a 452/2 I used for 2-lap. The larger TP Power 4060 would be my choice - no sweat in heats.

If you do end up with the 4060 motor go up to a Swordfish 220 or better yet the 240. Heavy duty during the build equals less maintenance later on

I couldn't locate my original build thread but scroll thru this - you'll see the strut & rudder in one of the pictures

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...OATBUILD/page3

early testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5ebHR6wR4&t=5s

acheetah4.jpg acheetah2.jpg
    Last edited by properchopper; 01-14-2022 at 01:03 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Hey Tony, could you pretty please weigh one of your p cats ready to race, minus batteries? Assume your batts are about a pound each.
    Thanks for sharing your divine wisdom and your magic setups!
    Jesse
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Darn scale took some "masssaging" to come to life BUT the Cheetah sans 4S 5000's (but with a small Rx battery (the Hydra 240 BEC board went to heaven ) weighs 7.5 lbs. Seems light to me but as a single it runs loose and fasssst

Found an early pre-dial vid : (Neu 1521 1.5D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh4QYT2iIh0
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Nicely done as always, Tony. Thanks for the info.
    So with batteries.. she could have been ticklin 10 lbs ?!?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Wink Thanks for the great Advise!!!

Hello!
    Thanks soooo much for the advise!. So here is want I plan thus far to throw in the new single cat, TP 4060 Motor (measures 40mm x 92mm), 1950kv, . Mamba Monster X 8S esc. yes, running 4s. Namban legit! offset Rudder-strut set-up. Mr. Jim V, from Texas speaks highly of you, and your experience.

What prop should I start with?

Thanks again!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Nicely done as always, Tony. Thanks for the info.
    So with batteries.. she could have been ticklin 10 lbs ?!?
    aYes.jpg

I sampled some 4S 5000's - right at 1.2 lbs Sooo.. Loaded for battle I'd say: YES you are correct Sir - 10 lbs wet on the mill

Quote Originally Posted by finlor44 View Post
    Hello!
    Thanks soooo much for the advise!. So here is want I plan thus far to throw in the new single cat, TP 4060 Motor (measures 40mm x 92mm), 1950kv, . Mamba Monster X 8S esc. yes, running 4s. Namban legit! offset Rudder-strut set-up. Mr. Jim V, from Texas speaks highly of you, and your experience.

What prop should I start with?

Thanks again!
    Wayne
    Wayne, I started with an Octura 447/3 - ran really nice & cool + acceleration out of turns is enhanced with the 3-blade - something to consider in heat racing. I'm sure you can go larger - I've run a 450/3 and a 452/2 but only shorter runs - with props it's test,test,test.

Good times with Mr. JV at the LA SAWS way back when.................