Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building the rear wings

FINALLY. You would think I just found a new religion.
    I asked RC Boat Company over a year ago if he could please make a video and post it to YouTube and describe what to do with the fiberglass vertical and horizontal wings. I’m still waiting like over a year later.
    Then I asked Scott Meyers (M5 Performance Hydroplanes) if he could please make a video and post it to YouTube describing how do people assemble the fiberglass vertical and horizontal wings and what hardware do they use to attach the parts together. He mentioned something about wanting to build a lighter scale hydroplane that does not require the rear wings because they add unnecessary weight.
    And then I mentioned it to Rattlesnake RC and he said something like you may find it’s better to run without them.
    I’m still waiting like over a year later.

I’ve got some hardware and the fiberglass wing parts all collecting dust. It would be nice to know the dimensions of the tubing that people add to the horizontal fiberglass wing to strengthen it. I’ve been scouring the forums for build pictures but there are almost none in regards to what type and size is the hardware.

I bought the 4-40 nylon wing bolts and 4-40 brass threaded inserts to connect the horizontal to the vertical. And 4-40 nylon bolts and brass inserts to connect the vertical to a tab attached to the hull of the hydroplane. I’m experimenting with light green colored closed cell foam I bought at Lowe’s Home Improvement to add some buoyancy to the wings. How much is too much foam I do not know?
    Mark Vanyo
    Renton, Washington

For the horizontal wing I made it like a model airplane wing. But why not use a piece of carbon fiber arrow shaft?

I haven’t glued it together yet, so still have options if there are better methods.

overall though, I am pretty happy with how the verticles came out. As I said in a previous post… I just went for it with the epoxy. Then sanded and filled with another batch. Keep in mind I am new to this too, never built anytiing like it.

Quote Originally Posted by markman660 View Post
    FINALLY. You would think I just found a new religion.
    I asked RC Boat Company over a year ago if he could please make a video and post it to YouTube and describe what to do with the fiberglass vertical and horizontal wings. I?m still waiting like over a year later.
    Then I asked Scott Meyers (M5 Performance Hydroplanes) if he could please make a video and post it to YouTube describing how do people assemble the fiberglass vertical and horizontal wings and what hardware do they use to attach the parts together. He mentioned something about wanting to build a lighter scale hydroplane that does not require the rear wings because they add unnecessary weight.
    And then I mentioned it to Rattlesnake RC and he said something like you may find it?s better to run without them.
    I?m still waiting like over a year later.

I?ve got some hardware and the fiberglass wing parts all collecting dust. It would be nice to know the dimensions of the tubing that people add to the horizontal fiberglass wing to strengthen it. I?ve been scouring the forums for build pictures but there are almost none in regards to what type and size is the hardware.

I bought the 4-40 nylon wing bolts and 4-40 brass threaded inserts to connect the horizontal to the vertical. And 4-40 nylon bolts and brass inserts to connect the vertical to a tab attached to the hull of the hydroplane. I?m experimenting with light green colored closed cell foam I bought at Lowe?s Home Improvement to add some buoyancy to the wings. How much is too much foam I do not know?
    Well I did not have much to go on when I did my first wings. There was no one to tell me how to do it. So I just jumped in and learned by trial and error. I can tell you some tips though of what I like. On the top wing I like all thread threw the full wing and trim to fit. For the 45 braces I like to use a closed end electrial connector to go threw one of the all thread on each side top. that is on a dubro 4-40 servo rod that is slid in to a aluminum tube by K&S and ball joints on the bottom mounted to the transom. the servo rod will slide out of the tube on a crash. tooth picks will break on the wings and this is all to cause no damage to anything. folation? I use kids fun foam one layer to fit in the feathers and wings. Most of the time I don't run wings except in scale and I prefer my 72 Bud over my 78 Blue Blaster
    hwd.jpgIMG-2647.jpg
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12