Thread: Anyone want to help save an old gas Proboat 1/8th Miss Bud hydro? Oh, come on!

Default Anyone want to help save an old gas Proboat 1/8th Miss Bud hydro? Oh, come on!

It'll be fun and I'll do all the work.

My buddy picked this up and brought it to me to hopefully get back going again. I didn't realize it's almost 4' long! What a beast! Proboat 1/8th scale with a Zenoah g26 engine. She's still in decent shape but missing a few things. The rudder was bent(I got it straightened out) and the flex, prop shaft, strut, prop, TX/RX are all M.I.A. I guess it hit something, got taken apart and left in a garage for no telling how many years. She was FULL of mouse poo/nests. Gross! I stripped her down and washed inside and out. Several times... I think she'll polish back up though! This is the first gas boat I've ever worked on and I'm a little unsure of what all is needed to get the drive back going. I have a line on an OEM flex shaft but it looks like using an aftermarket strut is going to be the only option as replacement parts are long gone. Does anyone have experience with this boat or advice on what all we'll need to get?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Turbo Dan-O; 01-02-2022 at 02:27 AM.
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

I had that hull converted over to electric, but I?ve sold the boat and didn?t retain any spare parts, so I don?t know how much help I can be.

Get the stock strut for the boat there is a metal plate in the bottom the the stock strut bolts up to. and a PIA to get out and reglass the bottom.

I have done conversions to FE and ran stock gas boats
    hear is a link to my conversion build
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...Pro-Boat-build
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Thanks guys. Wow Randy, what a project you had! I did check the glassed in metal plate for the strut. It's still there and looks to be in good shape, including the threads, thankfully...

Looking like finding an exact replacement strut is out of the question. Might have to get the grinder out and make something work. I'm in.
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Dan-O View Post
    Looking like finding an exact replacement strut is out of the question. Might have to get the grinder out and make something work. I'm in.
    I've been looking for one for years. Closest I've come is buying a wrecked boat, but the seller wanted a ridiculous amount of money for it
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Those were fun days!!
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Dan-O View Post
    Thanks guys. Wow Randy, what a project you had! I did check the glassed in metal plate for the strut. It's still there and looks to be in good shape, including the threads, thankfully...

That is what I will be doing when I build mine I now have a third one. If you have the skill to run a end mill bit on a dremel or flex shaft I would make a slot for the strut arm and put two L brackets.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    That is what I will be doing when I build mine I now have a third one. If you have the skill to run a end mill bit on a dremel or flex shaft I would make a slot for the strut arm and put two L brackets.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Looks like that's the plan. I've searched everywhere I could think of and still haven't come up with anything close. Oh well, I can handle making something, no problem. That being said, where does the prop need to be in relation to the hull/rudder? Also, any advice on a good prop to get it back going? I have nothing to go off of other than a few random pictures I've found online...

I did get her shined up a little.

Prop should beone drive dog past the transom. I will have to check on depth. I build struts for electric if you need a ballbearing strut I can build one for you
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Well, she runs once again! Ole engine sounds pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjah5J6cV4o

Need to make a parts order soon. Any ideas on a good prop and radio for this thing? I've had super good luck with my basic Tactic radios. I'm still using the first one I bought 10 years ago with zero issues. I'm kinda leaning that way but I haven't looked at radios in several years...