Thread: Upgraded Veles. Overweight rudder issue??

Default Upgraded Veles. Overweight rudder issue??

Hello everyone, I was hoping you might be able to help me with a unique problem. I have done some upgrading/experimenting on my Veles 29 (4074 motor, 220 esc, water pump cooling, Dasboata Prop, 6S 5000 Packs, etc.) it is pretty wild for sure, but I ran into what might be a special problem. Because my boat is now obviously overweight what appears to be happening is that it now sits lower in the water, the rudder bracket sits lower and that kinked flat surface of the rudder appears to be scooping up water and acting like a brake. It only stops when I go fast enough to really lift the boat out of the water. Has anyone had this problem? I thought of trying to put an L bracket rudder on the side that doesn't have that kink, but it seems difficult considering the space restraints. Thanks guys. Cheers!

When the boat is on plane, the rudder bracket is a non issue. My 27" Mini Zonda sat so low in the water while sitting idle, the water nearly reached the back canopy seam on the top of the hull. I used a thin 0.5mm carbon fiber "skid" plate under the rudder bracket on that hull (similar design to the 29" Proboat cat rudders) to prevent erratic steering while I was lining the hull up to get on plane and make high speed passes.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)