Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.4ghz transmitter for rc boat

Default 2.4ghz transmitter for rc boat

hi

does anyone know which 2.4ghz transmitter best for rc boat?

Do you have a budget ?

If not I would definately go with either the Futaba 4PK (telemetry), Spektrum DX3S(telemetry) or the DX3R (non telemetry). Especially helpful when setting up a new boat.

Jimmy
    Come to the FASST side

Im limiting my budget not more than $200, I've previously bought one 2.4ghz Acoms model, I ask the guy who sell it at ebay and he say it can be use on rc boat, so I bought it and use it, and my boat crash as the signal are not far enough. So the futaba and dx3's, how far can it go?

have anyone ever use this transmitter

http://axonracing.com/catalog/produc...products_id=33

Quote Originally Posted by Mel279 View Post
    So the futaba and dx3's, how far can it go?
    I have a Spektrum DX3R and both SR3000 and SR3100 receivers. With both setups I have been able to drive my boat from one end of my lake to the other, well over 500' away (it's shaped like an L, making it really hard to judge distance when you're at water level.

The big problem is that you can't see your boat when it's that far away...

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Eventhough I do not have it, I read in here in a similar thread "2.4ghz systems" that the 2.4 ghz system provided with the UL-1 is very successful. It is this one:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...h-tactic-combo
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

i just got a futaba t3pk with the spektrm 2.4 sm1000 modual in it does anyone know anything good or bad about this radio?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Sterling View Post
    Do you have a budget ?

If not I would definately go with either the Futaba 4PK (telemetry)
    To the best of my knowledge the Futaba 4PK does not have a telemetry feature. At least mine does not!!

I can strongly recommend the Futaba 2.4 GHz FASST radios for boat use. Mine have been rock solid.

The 3PM is a perfect boat radio and can be had for under $200 for the transmitter and receiver.
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    I have a Spektrum DX3R and both SR3000 and SR3100 receivers. With both setups I have been able to drive my boat from one end of my lake to the other, well over 500' away (it's shaped like an L, making it really hard to judge distance when you're at water level.

The big problem is that you can't see your boat when it's that far away...

Andy
    Its not a problem, its a good thing that u still can control it eventhough it is far away, can it track the top speed w/o the use of gps and does it have a temperature indicator?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    To the best of my knowledge the Futaba 4PK does not have a telemetry feature. At least mine does not!!

I can strongly recommend the Futaba 2.4 GHz FASST radios for boat use. Mine have been rock solid.

The 3PM is a perfect boat radio and can be had for under $200 for the transmitter and receiver.
    do u know how far this futaba 3pm can go?

Aquacraft Tactic 2.4 is well under your budget. I think OSE has these on order...$80.00 radio and transmiter.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Aquacraft Tactic 2.4 is well under your budget. I think OSE has these on order...$80.00 radio and transmiter.
    Yes they have but still Out of Stock

Its not a problem, its a good thing that u still can control it eventhough it is far away, can it track the top speed w/o the use of gps and does it have a temperature indicator?
    For any system in a boat, you can't track the speed without an accurate speed-measuring device such as GPS, lights, or a pitot tube. It's not like a car, where you have near-0 slip (at times), so you can't get it directly from the RPM although RPM can be a great indicator if you have previously determined your slip using one of the other methods in conjunction with RPM. I don't care about absolute speed, just seconds around the oval.

If you use the SPM1305 with an SR3000 you can get telemetry data (RPM, temp, and voltage) with a DX3R. Or use the SR3300T since it has telemetry built-in.

The DX3S has the telemetry integrated into it. I have a 3R because I want my son (pit man) to read the telemetry info. I can't read and drive at the same time.

What exactly are your requirements? We can probably help better if we know what you're trying to accomplish. Why do you want to be driving something you can't see?

Andy

Very interesting. I see that the price of the DX3S is not that high for what it offers and cheaper than the DX3R (in ebay). May I ask, you can see the motor's temp and rpm and boat's speed on the screen of the radio (DX3S or DX3r)? How is this done, do you connect any cables on the receiver?

If you have a DX3S, the telemetry data can be shown on the transmitter screen.

If you have a DX3R, the telemetry data is shown on a handheld LCD screen (see SPM1305) that you can mount on your antenna, just like an Eagle Tree Seagull. NOTE: The handheld screen can be used with the 3S also, so you can have a pit man read your data for you.

To sense the temperature, a sensor on a lead is attached to either the SPM1305's interface unit or your SR3500T receiver.

The RPM is sensed by a small opto sensor and band that goes on your output shaft, and connects to another port on the SPM1305 or SR3500T.

There is also a short cable that connects the 1305 to the rx.

There is NO SPEED SENSOR - you need a GPS or an Eagle Tree with pitot tube. You can convert RPM to speed, but it isn't accurate by any means.

Of course, you can get all this info by simply clicking on the link above and getting the manual.

FWIW, I use the SPM1305 with my DX3R when I need telemetry data. Note also that the telemetry link has limited range. If telemetry is real important, especially speed, I recommend getting the Eagle Tree system - it can provide more types of data, it can be loaded into your PC, has much greater range, and graphs can be generated afterwards.

Are you just trying to get the speed of your boat? If so, get a GPS. Are you looking for all kinds of other data including speed? If so, get an Eagle Tree. Are you looking for some data to try out different setups? If so, use the 3S and/or 1305.

There are lots of guys here who can tell you the advantages of one system over the other, but you will get a lot better input if you tell us what you're trying to accomplish.

Andy

do u know how far this futaba 3pm can go?
    At my lake the farthest you can go out is about 1,000 feet. Doing so puts you into the shore. I have gone almost that far out during SAWS races and not had an issue in anything that I own. Take a look at where you run on Google Earth and measure how far you are really going out. I think you will be surprised how far away you aren't!!

Bottom line, range has not been an issue for me nor have I seen any range issues reported.
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    If you have a DX3S, the telemetry data can be shown on the transmitter screen.

If you have a DX3R, the telemetry data is shown on a handheld LCD screen (see SPM1305) that you can mount on your antenna, just like an Eagle Tree Seagull. NOTE: The handheld screen can be used with the 3S also, so you can have a pit man read your data for you.

To sense the temperature, a sensor on a lead is attached to either the SPM1305's interface unit or your SR3500T receiver.

The RPM is sensed by a small opto sensor and band that goes on your output shaft, and connects to another port on the SPM1305 or SR3500T.

There is also a short cable that connects the 1305 to the rx.

There is NO SPEED SENSOR - you need a GPS or an Eagle Tree with pitot tube. You can convert RPM to speed, but it isn't accurate by any means.

Of course, you can get all this info by simply clicking on the link above and getting the manual.

FWIW, I use the SPM1305 with my DX3R when I need telemetry data. Note also that the telemetry link has limited range. If telemetry is real important, especially speed, I recommend getting the Eagle Tree system - it can provide more types of data, it can be loaded into your PC, has much greater range, and graphs can be generated afterwards.

Are you just trying to get the speed of your boat? If so, get a GPS. Are you looking for all kinds of other data including speed? If so, get an Eagle Tree. Are you looking for some data to try out different setups? If so, use the 3S and/or 1305.

There are lots of guys here who can tell you the advantages of one system over the other, but you will get a lot better input if you tell us what you're trying to accomplish.

Andy
    Thank you. I had an eagle tree but not working now (?) and I want to buy a 2.4ghz system therefore I was just curious to see what the DX3S can do. Does it make coffee? Thanks again for your very explanatory reply.

Eagle Tree is good for service too, so don't hesitate to send it back.

Andy

1000ft!!!..that pretty far and I would need to bought a binocular also just in case LOL, u convince me, maybe I wanna bought futaba 3pm, since range is my priority.

THANKS Bill

At my lake the farthest you can go out is about 1,000 feet. Doing so puts you into the shore. I have gone almost that far out during SAWS races and not had an issue in anything that I own. Take a look at where you run on Google Earth and measure how far you are really going out. I think you will be surprised how far away you aren't!!

Bottom line, range has not been an issue for me nor have I seen any range issues reported.

I rarely do it and only for SAWS runs. At those distances you are driving by the roostertail.

For most oval racing venues that I attend I am hard pressed to get more than 300 to 400 feet away from the driver's stand. I guess I do not understand the need for extreme range in a boat. If ultimate range is an issue, install and airplane radio.
    Don't get me started

I have been using a Spektrum DX3 (2.4) radio with a SM3001-Pro receiver. It works flawlessly at our club F/E racing. Recently, I returned for Orlando where I participated at the Orlando Gas/Nitro Winter Nationals. I took my radio and a reciever and put them in my brother Thunderboat since he has two TBs with only one Futaba radio. My Spektrum glitched at a rather short distance. His Futaba (in my boat) worked fine. The gas guys say that Spektrums are no good in boats and in deed, I saw none of the gas guys with a Spektrum similar to mine. I find that curious.

The reason why Im considering the range, was that I don't to crash my boat as to my previous 2.4ghz that I've use before. That why range is my priority just to be on the safe side. Im curious, why is it all 2.4ghz have short antenna?

I rarely do it and only for SAWS runs. At those distances you are driving by the roostertail.

For most oval racing venues that I attend I am hard pressed to get more than 300 to 400 feet away from the driver's stand. I guess I do not understand the need for extreme range in a boat. If ultimate range is an issue, install and airplane radio.

The antennas on all our radios are based on the wavelength, the shorter the wave length the shorter the antenna.

75 MHz radios have a wavelength around 4 meters. The antenna is roughly a 1/4 wave antenna, about 1 meter = 39 inches.

2.4 GHz frequency has a wavelength around 0.12 meters (4.72 inches) A 1/4 wave antenna will be about 1.2 inches long.

What other 2.4 radio were you having issues with??
    Don't get me started

this radio that Im having issue with
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoms-Technispor...3A1%7C294%3A50

The antennas on all our radios are based on the wavelength, the shorter the wave length the shorter the antenna.

75 MHz radios have a wavelength around 4 meters. The antenna is roughly a 1/4 wave antenna, about 1 meter = 39 inches.

2.4 GHz frequency has a wavelength around 0.12 meters (4.72 inches) A 1/4 wave antenna will be about 1.2 inches long.

What other 2.4 radio were you having issues with??

Never heard of it, but a little research showed that it uses a type of 2.4 implementation that has proven not to be very reliable in boats. There are several different 2.4 spread spectrum schemes and one is when the radio locks on a single bit of the spectrum and stays there. This is the worst possible method for our use.

Futaba is what is called Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS). The Futaba radio sweeps the entire spectrum in a semi randomized manner 500 times a second. This virtual eliminates the possible of interference with the signal. It has proven to be very robust in the marine environment.

I can guarantee you that you will find the Futaba FASST radio to be far more reliable than the one you were using before.

By the way, where are you located? Where is "BN"??
    Don't get me started

Duplicate post
    Don't get me started

Bill his profile says Brunei

I was wondering my self where BN was so I snooped
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I looked there but did not see that. Thanks.

BTW - I recently did something I have resisted for a very long time. I bought a prosumer point and shoot. A Canon Powershot SX110IS. For the money I am amazed at how well it does. Plus it takes video. 36-260 optical zoom with digital zoom out to 748mm equivalent. Canon IS technology seems to work pretty well. But I miss my "L" glass!! But I have to tell you how nice it is not lugging around a 20 pound kit with my lenses and body!!

But I am having a hard time getting used to no viewfinder!! Old habits die hard. 8GB card in it allows something absurd like 7,000 high res images or 2 hours of video.

I'll be giving it a workout this weekend at the gas races at Lake Havasu. We race right in the shadow of London Bridge!!
    Don't get me started

I will be interested to see how it does with moving objects. I just bought my wife a Sd890IS. It is small but she has small hands and so far it is working real well also. I just got a much nicer backpack that has a great waist belt that takes the majority of the load and should be a lot better on my shoulders carrying my gear around. Did you sell the L glass?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Yeah, BN stand for Brunei, its a small country situated in South East Asia in Borneo island, not far from Malaysia and SIngapore. There's only few FE boat hobbyist here, around 4-5 people thats include myself, and we're all still new to this stuff. Sorry if my english is bad, as it is my 2nd language but Im learning

Never heard of it, but a little research showed that it uses a type of 2.4 implementation that has proven not to be very reliable in boats. There are several different 2.4 spread spectrum schemes and one is when the radio locks on a single bit of the spectrum and stays there. This is the worst possible method for our use.

Futaba is what is called Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS). The Futaba radio sweeps the entire spectrum in a semi randomized manner 500 times a second. This virtual eliminates the possible of interference with the signal. It has proven to be very robust in the marine environment.

I can guarantee you that you will find the Futaba FASST radio to be far more reliable than the one you were using before.

By the way, where are you located? Where is "BN"??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast