Thread: motors recommended for single motor tfl mini zonda

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default motors recommended for single motor tfl mini zonda

Hi TFL nurd here,having little know how of Cats let alone sub 30 inch hulls i am totally confused by the motor choices for my TFL single motor mini Zonda build.MY preference is for 4s but 6s would be considered.As its going to be a fun hack with the occasional one of GPS drag run on 6s, expensive race motors are a no no!!..Motors in the price range such as leopard and TP are preferable.I am hoping for advise for a motor(can size and KV)that can push this little Cat close to or a little above 70mph,any faster would be a nice bonus .. I am looking at variations of the 36mm dia can size hoping they will fit with water jacket under the hatch? plus a best guess for a starter prop size for an advised motor would be a big help...just for reference i have good quality 180,150 and 120amp ESCs,nore do i skimp on cells...Cheers from across the pond Limey Les
    LimeyLes

4S is a good setup for a 27" catamaran, but 5S is a maximum may be too much.

4S and 2600kV motor is a good setup for this cat imho.

4S or 5S is a good setup for a 27" catamaran, but 5S is a maximum may be too much.

4S and 2600kV motor is a good setup for this cat imho.

I ran two different single motor 27" Mini Zonda's at SAW events where top speed was the only performance marker I was concerned about. The first boat had a TP3650 3080kV motor, 220A Swordfish ESC, and ran on 4S2P (3300mAh 4S packs in each sponson, wired in parallel). Best runs were 92mph with an ABC1715 prop. Extremely difficult to keep on the water at those speeds and required excellent water conditions. With smaller 3S packs, the boat ran a more modest 65mph on an ABC1614 prop.

I doubt this is the setup you want, but would consider it the ceiling for that hull, and might be a starting point to back down from. Keep in mind the sponsons are very shallow, and there's not a lot of room for larger Lipo packs.

4S Speed.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I use a sss3682 1850kv

Thanks all ...just what i needed....food for thought
    LimeyLes

Perfect ,thanks Mr Fweasle...That later 3s set up is most practical tbh, sounds a plan for this little fun cat, due to the size of my local pond anything past 70mph runs out of room very fast!! somewhat butt clenching if you blink lol
    LimeyLes

Ryan,

I bought this rig from Travis after the 92 mph run. BEAST!!!
    Traxxas Spartan, RCBB Zonda-R, Promarine MTR, Proboat IMP 31 v3, PB UL-19, Bonzai FE 47 Skater

I run a sss 3682 in a german cat G*S* only 75cm long 19cm wide with a tfl strudder on 6s(2x 3s in series graphene panther 4000mA)and a seaking 120A and runs so fine even in windy conditions so this set up will work also in your mini zonda,for props it runs great with prather props (I got 75mph with a 48mm or 230 prather)