Thread: Flex cable keeps coming loose from coupler

Default Flex cable keeps coming loose from coupler

Gents, hoping someone can provide some insight on this reoccurring issue I?m having.

I?ve got a near new Veles which I?ve only taken out three times.

The first two times out the cable and prop fell out the back both times almost immediately.

The third time, yesterday, the cable came loose, but thankfully the drive line stayed in the stuffing tube.

I?ve tried the stock coupler and an Octura coupler and have really cranked down on tightening them prior to running the boat. Still no luck though.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? I am now running the upgraded OSE cable but still haven?t gotten through a successful run.

Thanks! Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Davey80; 06-25-2022 at 03:27 PM.

Once a cable spins in a collet, likely because it wasn't tight enough to begin with, material is lost on both mating surfaces and neither can be trusted. I cut the damaged tip off the cable and save it for another project down the road. I throw the collet in the trash. Both need to be replaced. On my stock proboat's, I liked to use the TFL stainless two piece collets. The stock Proboat collets were always suspect, and I don't suggest using them.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

What Fweasel said, but also greasing the threads of the coupler will allow the collet to apply much greater pressure on the cable with the same torque applied to the coupler.

And make sure the cable end is not greasy or oily, obviously lubrication there is less than ideal.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Great thanks for the input! I?ll give it another shot with this info applied.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davey, I have the same issue. What did you end up doing to yours?