Thread: Avoid the gators..

Unhappy Avoid the gators..

No idea what this truly was, but it was either a Gator or a turtle.
    1st pack and initial warning, rudder was bent up, and I headed straight into the embankment, luckily very soft, but it was buried ~ 1 ft.
    No damage except the plastic screw. Temp fix with a zip tie as I had no replacement.

20211113_124502.jpg

3rd pack of batteries, now this happened going ~ 50mph, a bump, a loud noise and utter carnage.
    20211113_142000.jpg
    and upon further inspection, the transom is split as well.
    20211113_170754.jpg

The strut is toast as well. Now I know what to work on in the next couple of days...

Ouch. That prop might have taken a hit, become severely out of balance, and tore the drive apart while flopping around. The hull repair looks pretty straight forward though. Good luck with the project.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks!
    Yes, one prop blade was gone.
    Plan is to use some sheet aluminum over the strut support hole and glass it in. On the split transom, probably just some strips of glass on the inside.
    Should I open the crack a little and glass from both sides?

Ouch that's upsetting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by jkflow View Post
    Thanks!
    Yes, one prop blade was gone.
    Plan is to use some sheet aluminum over the strut support hole and glass it in. On the split transom, probably just some strips of glass on the inside.
    Should I open the crack a little and glass from both sides?
    I would probably cut a CF plate and epoxy it on the inside to create the bulk of your transom floor strength, then build-up and reprofile the outside of the hull with epoxy, filler and fiberglass. As for the crack in the transom, if its clean and there's not much material missing, I would tape it from the outside to create a barrier, and then use a thin epoxy on the inside to fill the crack, then layer fiberglass or CF cloth over the area. I would also assume the hairline crack continues on towards the rudder. I would remove the rudder, tape off the holes from the outside, install a small CF plate and epoxy it to the rear outer wall from the inside. Once cured, redrill the 4 mounting holes and install the rudder with longer hardware if necessary.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks!, I was thinking alu but carbon is a great idea!
    Yes, crack is going half-way around towards the rudder mount, need to strengthen that for sure.