Thread: sonic wake motor upgrade

Default sonic wake motor upgrade

Hi Guys, I am new to boating, and am upgrading my sonic wake and would like to know what would be the best setup/upgrade using a Leopard with a matching prop that would be best for a 60+ run. I am going to be installing a ZTW Seal 200a esc, dual rudder pickups from boat biz. I am also running 2, 11.1v 5000mah 100c,3s lipos. I heard the Leopard 4074/1650 was good also in 1800K. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

go for a TP3650 or 4050 the 4050 has more torque but heavy ,the 3650 is for this hull super, for these motors you have to upgrade the flex shaft (OSE)

after some research the TP4050 1950kv is all what you want

Hi Koen,
    Thank you for the reply. Judging from what you picked, there would be modifications to the motor mount I assume as the stock dynamite measures 36mmx74mm, or possible a larger tray? Also you indicated a new flex shaft.. Any idea what size on OSE i would be looking for? One last thing, what would be a good prop to match with this motor and the electrics ill use?
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang2711 View Post
    Also you indicated a new flex shaft.. Any idea what size on OSE i would be looking for?
    OSE has an 'upgrade' flex cable (with drivedog & bullet nut already installed) available. It contains thicker individual strands...plus, is is 5mm longer then the stock value, to provide better "grip" in the coupler.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...HD-SonicWake36

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Hi Panther,
    Thanks for the heads up on the cable and the link on ose..Question do you agree with the suggestion on motor size and type as was suggested to me the TP4050 1950kv? It would not be a direct fit without mods, and i dont know if there is a mount avaliable for it, plus i would like to know what type and size of prop would work good with this particular motor.. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

Hi Panther,
    Thanks for the heads up on the cable and the link on ose..Question do you agree with the suggestion on motor size and type as was suggested to me the TP4050 1950kv? It would not be a direct fit without mods, and i dont know if there is a mount avaliable for it, plus i would like to know what type and size of prop would work good with this particular motor.. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you
    First, you should understand, while I've been into RC die a while, I've only been into FEs for approx 17 months. Personally, I chose to stick with a 36 can motor, as I didn't want to be forced into modding the motor mount. The stock motor is 2000kv, which is perfect when rubbing on 4S with the stock ESC...but, on 6S, is ran hot (not 'warm', but 'hot'). That's when I swapped it for a SeaKing 180.

While temps did drop (probably due to the greater Amp handling ability), it still ran warmer than I wanted...plus, I wanted to see if I could get longer run-time...so, I swapped the 2000kv for a Leopard 3674-1400kv, as well as increasing the prop size (honestly, I don't remember what props I tried, but I did try several, incl 2-blade & 3-blade). I achieved my first two goals - much lower temps, and longer run-time...but, shows dropped more than I liked. In testing larger props and/or props with greater pitch, I was getting faster speeds, but temps were increasing (to the point that I "killed" a motor, and later "killed" the ESC.

With a new SeaKing 180 installed, I decided to revert back to the stock prop, and start testing props again...albeit, this time with a TP 3640-1935kv. Since that point, I've only had it in the water once, and the only props I tested that day were the stock, the OSE 4216 CNC (slightly smaller than stock... btw, slightly slower, but also FANTASTIC on 6S with the stock ESC & motor), and a sharpened & balanced Octura X445. Also, note that I don't remember the actual speeds (this was almost 3 months ago), so any speeds mentioned are 'approximations c, based on what I remember.

On the stock prop, the boat was a little slower than "full stock" (as was expected), and had sightly longer run-time (by just under 30sec), but...more importantly...ran somewhat cooler than "full stock on 6S". On the 4216, the boat was even slower (by only a few mph), but was cooler, and had an even longer run-time (almost an additional 20sec). With X445, the boat, the boat ran almost 5mph faster, much cooler (approx 20deg, if I remember correctly), and gave me a run-time approx 30sec longer, then "full stock on 6S".

I have been wanting to purchase a TP 4050-1700kv (for a different boat) that I wouldn't mind testing in the SonicWake. If I can figure out how to mount a CF motor mount in the SonicWake (and, if anyone else has already done this, I'm sure the Op & I would, both, be greatly appreciative), I have a second SonicWake hull just waiting for it. Since OSE has 36mm & 40mm motor mounts (fiberglass & CF options) that use the same side pieces, and have the same 54mm spacing (between the side rails), it should (not saying it 'is', only that it 'should') be possible to buy one of each, so that the aluminum mounting brackets could be swapped (ie. affording the ability to switch 36mm & 40mm can motors) between boats. Nor an idea that I've proven (again, if anyone else has already done this, please, let the Op & myself know).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that, won't I'm not 100% certain as to what other props I'd want to treat, there are certain ones in interested in testing, starting with the Octura Y537/3. While it is a 3-blade, or is much smaller (37mm vs 42mm stock), and had a lower pitch. I might also try the following: CNC-3814-350, ABC-1614-Chopper, Octura M445, Octura M435/3.

Last edited by Panther6834; 11-10-2021 at 07:24 PM.

If you want to use the stock motor mount then a TP3650 will fit no problem and for props start with the stock prop and then go from there ,but remember a cnc prop lift the back of the boat a ABC xx-xx-17 lift the front of the boat(these props have no/low lift)prop in the middel lift wise are the octura x serie and prather(prather is for me always one of the best)

Hello Koen,
    Thank you for taking the time for your info and experience and explanation on the various set ups with props etc. As i dont have a fully functioning workshop, doing mods with the 4050, or finding the proper motor mount as even you say can be difficult, might be too much for me.I am not looking for over heat issues or a blown esc or motor.I umderstand its trial and error finding the right prop match to have the speed without comprimising run time or over heat issues.AS the wake comes with the stock Dynamite 1900k motor, could you tell me is the TP3650 a better motor overall in performance etc., than the dynamite? I am just a little curious as to why TP and not say SSS or Leopard in your choice of motors.Being new to the hobby, i guess its just so i get to know where to spend my money on the best motor brand to use for the sonic wake.
    Thanks again for your time

Hi Again,
    If I go with the TP3650, what K v rating would you suggest, as there are a few to pick from..Keep in mind ill be installing a 200a esc and running 2 5000mwa lipos
    Thanks again
    John

i use for 2 boats SSS3682 and they are also good and price wise good, tp have more power but if you start with rc boating maybe the tp motor is to agressive ,at 4s 2200kv is the max and with 6s 1600kv and for esc i use ztw 200 and 300a but for you boat a seaking 180 is beter(not to heavy and not to big)with these chang

Good morning,
    Thanks for the quick reply, and the feedback on the motors..I heard others using the seaking 180. and will go on that choice then..The SSS3682 at 1600k sounds good as well. When you say the TP might be to aggressive, can i ask in what way? and if i do go with the tp3650 i am assuming at 1600k.. I am sorry for all the curious questions, its just giving me a better understanding with boats in general. for future reference.and both motors should be a direct fit without mods correct?
    Thanks

First, my apologies, as I "discovered" something. You are correct in the stock motor being 1900kv. I also have a Shockwave, which came with a 2000kv. After killing the first replacement motor (which I described above), when it came to ordering the TP add the 'new' replacement motor, I must have gotten the kvs mixed up, which led me to ordering the 3640-1935kv. Having now caught my "error", I'm removing it (it'll come it's way into another boat, I'm certain)...and will now be ordering either the 3640-1570kv, or the 3650-1680kv. Guess my previous testing with the 3640-1935kv is now "useless & worthless".

the power output of a TP 3650 is continuos 2300w and max 4500w ,that's 3hp and max almost 6hp that's a lot of power ,ya it will fit ,dia.36mm length 82mm, the sss3682 is also not a slouch (i run one in a 26" cat topspeed 70mph with 230 prather prop)

Quote Originally Posted by koen View Post
    the power output of a TP 3650 is continuos 2300w and max 4500w ,that's 3hp and max almost 6hp that's a lot of power...
    Which is just another reason why the 3640 could be the better/smarter choice.

Thanks for the advice and motor choice. I appreciate all your help going forward.

I run a TP 3640 in my Spartan with great success. Similar boat. 36" mono and superlight since it's made of plastic.

When I had a SonicWake, I kept the stock motor, but I did upgrade the ESC to a SeaKing 180A.

Hi Tbonemcneil,
    Thanks for the reply and your info, much appreciated..Can I ask what prop(s) you used that you had success with? I know there are many choices and its trial & error..Heard the Octura 445 is a good bet..
    Thanks,
    John

Hi Tbonemcneil,
    Thanks for the reply and your info, much appreciated..Can I ask what prop(s) you used that you had success with? I know there are many choices and its trial & error..Heard the Octura 445 is a good bet..
    Thanks,
    John
    I actually didn't play with too many props on that boat. I typically used it as a boat to lend a friend to run with me, or just for fun when I went to the coast to play in the waves and I knew I'd be flipping over a lot. I used stock and a 4414. Definitely preferred the 4414 (which is much like an Octura X445, only 1mm smaller in diameter).

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply..The 4414 who makes that prop or is it a custom job? I assume you had the stock motor with the 4414 as well?
    John

?

Hi Again

What KV did you have on the 3640?

It was an OSE CNC prop.

I run the TP Power 3640 8D 1870kv motor

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply..The 4414 who makes that prop or is it a custom job? I assume you had the stock motor with the 4414 as well?
    John

?
    The 4414 is one of the CNC props from OSE:

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=cnc-4414250

Thanks for the reply Robb..