Thread: Fixing battery tray to hull

Default Fixing battery tray to hull

The epoxy broke on the battery tray in my zonda, would it be best to use fibreglass to fix it back or would something like JB weld steelstik be ok to use?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

If the tray is wide enough to touch both sides of the sponson walls, I like to use black aquarium silicone along the entire length of the tray. Just like caulking a bathtub. If the tray is narrower than the sponson bottom, I prefer to use something with a little more give than traditional epoxy, and use West System G-Glex thickened with 406 silica powder. I make the mixture about as thick as peanut butter, then dab it in at least the four corners, possibly other points along the side depending on where the battery straps are routed, then lay it down into place with light pressure. Scuff up the tray mating surfaces first. Composite battery trays tend to be pretty smooth and don't naturally provide much adhesive gripping surface. Try not press the tray completely flat to the hull and squish all of the epoxy out the sides, keep a small cushion of epoxy between the tray and hull bottom, accounting for different mounting heights too.
    Last edited by fweasel; 11-09-2021 at 04:44 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Before applying G-Flex, wipe all scuffed areas on the tray and hull with acetone.
    J.

Is this the g flex your referring too?

Yes, that's it.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Can't seem to find the 406 anywhere in my state, but I have this, would it be OK?