Thread: Prather 31" Deep Vee motor recommendations

Default Prather 31" Deep Vee motor recommendations

Hi all, I picked up this hull last year at an estate sale I was involved with and looking for some power recommendations ie: motor/ battery cell count. To date I've been considering a TP Power 4050, either 1700 or 1570 KV and 6S pack. Are those two KV values too high for a 6S? Is it too much power for that hull? Something I can use with the OSE 150 A ESC. Haven't figure out what prop to go with something like that yet. This will be my over the winter project once I get done finishing the Astro Hog.
    Cheers.

The ProBoat SonicWake runs up to 6S on a 1900kv, so I'd think either of those motors shouldn't be "to much".

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    Hi all, I picked up this hull last year at an estate sale I was involved with and looking for some power recommendations ie: motor/ battery cell count. To date I've been considering a TP Power 4050, either 1700 or 1570 KV and 6S pack. Are those two KV values too high for a 6S? Is it too much power for that hull? Something I can use with the OSE 150 A ESC. Haven't figure out what prop to go with something like that yet. This will be my over the winter project once I get done finishing the Astro Hog.
    Cheers.
    Ah yes... The astro hog......built and flew one 35 years ago......still have it......along with the Goldberg Super Chipmunk......

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    The ProBoat SonicWake runs up to 6S on a 1900kv, so I'd think either of those motors shouldn't be "to much".

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    The sonicwake is a bigger and more modern design hull, and not that stable on 6s. The older prather hull will still be overpowered with the 1570 kv motor. I have run my DF Pirate with the same motor on 6s and a Dr Props 45 mm (around 1.2 pitch he told me) at 90 kph easy as. I doubt the prather hull will be particularly stable at those speeds. It may be ok on an X440. I guess it depends what the op is expecting from the boat. speed, hamdling, runtime. I would recommend that he goes to 4s with a 4050 2100 kv motor., He can still get 50+ mph if he wants and the 150 esc will be ok.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

go for the tp 4050 1570kv and Prather props for starters 220 and/or 225 and if you get the setup wright you can go for a bit bigger props and try ABC prop (prather props you can order them from Hyperformance products they sell all prather products)

If this hull is the Agressor2 it can be very fast

The tp 4050 1570kv and 4s with a x642 would be suitable for that hull. If the hull handles the speed of that setup well, you can get a faster prop like an octura x450.

This not the Aggressor II hull. My decision won't be too dependent on run time as it probably will never be raced. There are no RC boat clubs in my area.Just looking for decent speeds within the capability of that hull. The design is rather old and probably never updated.
    Seems at least I made a good choice for a motor but running with a 6S pack may be too much for that hull and I don't really want to mess around with it trying to update
    by making changes to the hull.

Can’t wait to see how this turns out, I will be building the same hull but have not chosen the power for it yet. The 4050 should be a nice little setup in there. How are you planning on sealingnit up? Do you have the original hatch that came with the boat or are you doing plexiglass or something like that?

I have the original hatch for it. As for sealing the boat I use epoxy for installing the motor /prop shaft. There are special seals for rudder pushrods. I generally tape the hatch down but there are latches available that work quite well. As of now I have the hull painted with primer/filler and ready to sand.