Thread: Basic prop info

Default Basic prop info

What do ya'll recommend for a newbie to read about prop selection the dos and don'ts. I have a helion rivos bl 1800kv 30amp esc 3s 4000mah 25c all stock to the boat. I bought the boat used and have never run it. The prop was broke I have ordered a graupner k series 40 mm and 42 mm . I have read tips & info here just looking for more info.

I think the big do's and dont's list is fairly short.

Don't - modify a copper beryllium prop without good PPE and ventilation.
    Don't - put too big of a prop on it.
    Don't - Run a new prop and assume its fine using the whole battery. Run it for a few passes back n forth and then check everything with an IR gun.

I have found the most efficient prop for my mono hull / deep Vee is the Octura X Seires. I don't know a lot about sizing for a boat that size as all of my boats are 40+"
    It had seemed like taking my boats hull size in inches and making that transition to prop in MM +3mm worked well so far for electric setups. So for example 42" mono runs great with a 45mm prop. (Octura X445 or X645)

I may be wrong but if your boat is only 24.5" then maybe a 27-32mm prop is best? Hopefully some experience with smaller boats can chime in to assist there, but that 40 and 42mm prop sounds very large for a small boat with a 40a ESC.

Ramp up:
    Replace the ESC to a 120/180amp (with a 1800kv motor for sure)
    Batteries: should be at least at min 5000mah/50c or better for decent run times (3-4 min)
    As far as props, check out and look up "dashbota" on this site and get some good props. Props on FE boats run at extreme rpm's and need to be balanced/sharpened (if not bad things can happen)

Quote Originally Posted by chuck de View Post
    What do ya'll recommend for a newbie to read about prop selection the dos and don'ts. I have a helion rivos bl 1800kv 30amp esc 3s 4000mah 25c all stock to the boat. I bought the boat used and have never run it. The prop was broke I have ordered a graupner k series 40 mm and 42 mm . I have read tips & info here just looking for more info.
    I just looked up the Helion and found an example on A-Mains site. Can?t find a factory prop size tho. 3s and 1800kv is keeping a pretty low RPM (I normally would run 5-6s on this kv) which would allow use of a bigger prop and better runtime. Also a lower amperage ESC. Based on this info I think you are not too far off the mark on this.

Now if you get bored of it (as we all seem to) we can revisit this as an upgrade