Thread: Anyone use a TFL flex shaft oiler??

Default Anyone use a TFL flex shaft oiler??

So after talking to TFL they told me to ditch the stuffing tube with the teflon liner since I had a problem with it melting and taking out a stuffing tube, so I went ahead and took out and installed a new 5/16 stuffing tube for 1/4" shaft then a 3/8" sleeve for the bearing oiler. Installed everything and clamped down the oiler nice and tight and went to pump some marine grease and it came out from everywhere around the bearing oiler besides going thru the stuffing tube and coming out of the strut like I was told it was going too. So basically I made a big mess and still no grease going down the shaft towards propeller. Am I doing something wrong? I placed a small piece of 1/4 fuel tube on the shaft hoping to hold back some of the grease coming out of the bearing..no help there. really aggravating especially paying $60 for 2 of these bearing oilers. Maybe I should of stayed with the teflon liner.

bearing oiler.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

You did drill through it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    You did drill through it right?
    Yes, lol. If I didnt, Im in the wrong hobby

Never had an issue greasing my cables by hand before installing in the boat. Keep it simple.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by mrd72 View Post
    So after talking to TFL they told me to ditch the stuffing tube with the teflon liner since I had a problem with it melting and taking out a stuffing tube, so I went ahead and took out and installed a new 5/16 stuffing tube for 1/4" shaft then a 3/8" sleeve for the bearing oiler. Installed everything and clamped down the oiler nice and tight and went to pump some marine grease and it came out from everywhere around the bearing oiler besides going thru the stuffing tube and coming out of the strut like I was told it was going too. So basically I made a big mess and still no grease going down the shaft towards propeller. Am I doing something wrong? I placed a small piece of 1/4 fuel tube on the shaft hoping to hold back some of the grease coming out of the bearing..no help there. really aggravating especially paying $60 for 2 of these bearing oilers. Maybe I should of stayed with the teflon liner.

bearing oiler.jpg
    The grease will take the shortest route with least resistance. I put my greasing points as far away from the end of the stuffing tube as possible, that is usually only 2-5cm anyways. The best way to get the grese down the tube, is to run the motor at low rpm and let the cable "wind" the grease through. Pre greasing the cable before putting it in doesn't hurt either.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I use them on my nitro and gas scales to give them a little lube between heats, then remove the flex at home. Some of the boats have crappy access to the collet so they?re not as quick to remove as most of my electrics boats.

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I thought the whole idea of having an oiler was to use oil. I've always seen them with a little reservoir and a fuel line running to the oiler nipple. Didn't realize they could be used with grease. Like mentioned grease is just going to go everywhere.

Just an example. The person didn't have it mounted to his stuffing tube yet but you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    I thought the whole idea of having an oiler was to use oil. I've always seen them with a little reservoir and a fuel line running to the oiler nipple. Didn't realize they could be used with grease. Like mentioned grease is just going to go everywhere.

Just an example. The person didn't have it mounted to his stuffing tube yet but you get the idea.
    I have an oiler and a grease nipple on my gas boat

Namba District 16

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    I have an oiler and a grease nipple on my gas boat

Right . But you're using oil. The OP is using grease and expecting it to play nice and only go down the flex shaft. In order for it to work with grease you need to seal the end of the stuffing tube near the motor for that to work.

Nice setup by the way.