Thread: Seeking Hull Finishing/Epoxy Coating Advice

Default Seeking Hull Finishing/Epoxy Coating Advice

Hi Folks, newbie boat builder here looking for tips and advice on finishing/painting and epoxy sealing a fiberglass hydro hull. I have the hand-laid fiberglass pretty well smoothed out and just a coat of primer on it, and I'm trying to determine what's next. Is it more typical to lay down the paint scheme that I'm planning first and then seal over that with a thin coat of clear epoxy, or do you guys usually put down the epoxy coat first and then paint over the top of that? I've even done a little experimenting with the colored epoxy tint products, thinking that might be the route to go, but I didn't know if that maybe has some downside that I'm not aware of. And what about graphics, do those typically get sealed down with a clear coat of something? Any recommendations as far as specific products to use/stay away from would be really appreciated as well. I figure this has all probably been discussed a dozen times on this forum, so if you just wanna refer me to that thread that's fine. Thanks for any help!

A fiberglass boat wouldn't get sealed with epoxy. Prime and sand until you are happy with the surface. Apply paint scheme. Some paints require a clear coat some do not. I prefer single stage that does not need clear. Scuff the paint between coats/colors and before the clear if going that route. Clear over graphics depends on the tpe of graphics. Most vinyl is fine without. decals will require a protective layer.