Thread: making flex shafts

Question making flex shafts

Seeing how the shafts i need are all on back order i bought materials to fab my own but lack the expertise to make one and could use a little input. like how to get a clean cut of the first layer of windings off the cable for inserting into prop shaft and then the braising method

I use a small pair of flush cuts to unwind each strand & cut it about a inch or so down. Then i take my dremell tool with a cut off wheel to clean it up. I use 56% silver solder and the Harris white brazing flux. Good luck trying to find a video on the process, I know of one and it sucks. What flux and silver solder are you going to be using??

Start watching a bunch of different videos on YouTube about brazing. Im a plumber by trade so it came to me pretty eazy. There is definitely a little learning curve though. I think the hardest part is getting it brazed without deforming the flexcable and the alignment of cable and shaft. It has to be perfect.

I believe Jeff Wholt may have what you are lookinh for.
    His work is great, and they are super strong.
    http://www.rcraceboat.com/Storewiredrive.html
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

If this all seems a bit mutch for you Im shure mcopracing,speedmaster, wholt racing as mentioned above, or aeromarine racing has them,you would just need to cut to desired length. Common lengths are 18"-24"

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan DeMaria View Post
    I use a small pair of flush cuts to unwind each strand & cut it about a inch or so down. Then i take my dremell tool with a cut off wheel to clean it up. I use 56% silver solder and the Harris white brazing flux. Good luck trying to find a video on the process, I know of one and it sucks. What flux and silver solder are you going to be using??

well ill use your recommendation seeing how im learning... lol

do you have links to mcop and speedmaster?

Mcopracing.com rossisales speedmaster. Just google them