Thread: Water Cooling... Dual or Quad exit for Dual Motor Setup?

Default Water Cooling... Dual or Quad exit for Dual Motor Setup?

Take a look at the drawings, and the way ive setup the dual inlet water cooling is Y joining the inlets so each ESC and Water is feed its own water line. Now what i cant decide is what would be the best for the water EXIT, Single or Dual. Meaning each ESC and Motor has there own exit, run the exit out of the motor, through the ESC, then Exit boat.

Whats your thoughts, any option better than the other, or wouldnt really matter??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Using a Y to split the water feed is generally not a good idea. The majority of the water will go to the line with the least resistance and the other line will get less water. With a single pickup in each rudder, I?d recommend running from rudder to ESC to motor then overboard.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Ok I didn't think of it like, good point.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Input should equal output.2 inlets = 2 outlets etc.

I made a manifold one or two inlets 4 outlets. Two to the esc one to the motor, one to the motor mount. I had to regulate the esc outlet with a zip ty. as the water was blasting out of there.
    J.

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    I made a manifold one or two inlets 4 outlets. Two to the esc one to the motor, one to the motor mount. I had to regulate the esc outlet with a zip ty. as the water was blasting out of there.
    J.
    You could also ignore the motor mount since that's not really cooling anything but adds a tons of restriction, and just run everything through a single path. Splitting one flow into four doesn't make any sense.

Although i would not suggest splitting the inlet tubing but if you must i would suggest you not ty them back together for the exit. If you kept them separate you will be able to see if your getting proper flow through each component.

Wayne

There is an entire science on fluid dynamics and it is mostly used to design public waterlines, irrigation systems, machine hydraulic systems, fuel delivery systems, drainage pipes, and the like. Sharp angles, small diameters, and long runs add friction in the system thereby restricting flow. The science can be used in our applications and Fluid above is 100% correct. Any flow will take the path of least resistance. Once the item has been cooled (be it the motor or ESC), you want the least amount of resistance to getting that water overboard. Short runs, no sharp bends, and large tubing on the exit side are your friend.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Boredom, the line in goes up to the manifold which is beside the components then strait out the side. the manifold equallizes the four lines out to each component . the water is quite warm coming from the motor mount , so there is heat being removed. Not as hot as the motor and esc , but still removing heat. So your motor is more efficient and allows you to swing a bigger prop, go faster.
    J.

The manifold will indeed guarantee the same PRESSURE (voltage?) going into each line, but the flow (amperage?) will ALWAYS be greatest in the portion that has the least resistance. Imagine this scenario: You have a manifold that has 4 outputs. 3 of the 4 outputs has a 1/16" diameter orifice, and the 4th has no restrictions. Hook it up to a garden hose and which one will have the greatest flow?

Here's some good reading: https://www.pipeflowcalculations.com...in-pipes.xhtml
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

That's it exactly !! out of the four outlets two go to the raider 150. After doing the garden hose i had to put zip ty's on esc out let's to regulate flow to match the motor out put. the motor mount is less because of own restriction. still removes heat.
    J.

Yes, but you would get the same cooling with just 2 outlets. You've only added complexity with no gain in cooling efficiency.

Each component gets fresh clean cool water, nothing recycled. the esc has two inlets one down each side , no U turn, less friction. better cooling for the esc and motor.
    J.

By all means, did you do a before and after comparison with a temp gun or similar?

This is your setup, and you have to be happy with it, more power to you, and maybe you are right.
    What I see, yes you have 'fresh' water to all 4 but on 2 you have to artificially restrict the flow in order to get somewhat equal flow through motor and ESC.
    I honestly do not know if 'warmer water' at higher flow has less cooling than cooler water with restricted flow. Considering that the ESC would see this colder water first, I would think that the ESC would run cooler in a standard setup. The motor would be the only one seeing a difference and again you would have a higher flow in a standard setup but with warmed up water.

Nope ! each component gets cool water. From the manifold, two lines to the esc, one line to the motor, one line to the motor mount each line gets cool water.
    J.

in the spring nothing over 75* batteries 110*, water temp40*F . in the summer with water surface temp at 80* motor 105* esc 100* batteries 115*. prop 1814 p limited sport hydro.

Let's see if you can wrap your head around this one!! The boat is a lizzard P limited mono . I put two lines into the motor with two lines out. two to the esc.
    wire drive, m447. Here in Ontario you can see 15 feet down , in Atlanta I can see 6 inch's down. so a lot of sediment. May have to prop down.But I have to keep up with Amp Daddy! That off shore course is long, with a cooler way the hell out there for an offshore bouy.

Would there be any benefit of using 4 outlets instead of 2?

The more water passing through the more heat removed.
    J.