Thread: TFL Cheetah twin or single for oval racing? Advice sort?

Default TFL Cheetah twin or single for oval racing? Advice sort?

Hi,

Looking for advice as i'm looking at the TFL Cheetah cat (carbon with an inlay) for oval/ circuit running. The water i run at is sometimes smooth/ sometimes a little bit bumpy. My question is: does a single drive with a larger motor and ESC have any advantage over a twin besides maintenances? Is runtime significantly higher or handling better for an oval - or does a twin have an advantage due to lower load? I'd be planning to run the twin on 6S (do the larger motor singles usually run 6S or do ppl run them as 12s)? What would be the ideal motor/ esc specs for the twin and the single for oval racing?

Thanks

As a single drive ,if you use a lehner 2260 on 8s it will be very fast(can also run on 6s)to find the perfect setup takes more time with a single motor but you will safe weight

The cheetah is a great 4s heat racer. The boat is only 34? long. What class were you wanting to run in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    The cheetah is a great 4s heat racer. The boat is only 34? long. What class were you wanting to run in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's no real "class" type racing where i run - just a few hobbyist meeting on weekends and running around some buoys with FE boats of all sizes (abt 10 cats sometimes show-up ranging from 50'+ cats to Zonda's to smaller stuff).

Would singles typically give a lot of extra run time? (I'm assuming boat twins and singles can be ball park similar for oval racing speeds).

I have a second hand one coming. I plan to put in a TP 4050 1570 kv with V2 T180 on 6s. This motor esc in my DF35 Pirate does 60 mph easily, so should be a good setup I hope.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Hann,

The Cheetah twin or single question has come up here in the past. I'll throw in my 2 cents - I've built a few for customers - 4S single motor ones for casual fun racing mostly like you're talking about. I do however know of two experienced racers who use twins for oval competition (P-Class - 4S ) and they are pretty slick. I personally avoid twins - they are a bit tricky to build - lining up the motors/mounts/drive components with precision in the tunnels isn't my idea of an easy task. My personal Cheetah uses one TP 4060 2040 KV motor on 4S and it flies. I haven't oval raced it but did almost kill a NAMBA 2-lap record with it (my driving stinks and I had a servo quit in the last turn of a record beating run so I gave up that day ). I'm biased towards a single motor for several reasons - twins are tricky to build, cost a bunch more than a single, and more to get out of whack. And consider this : If you're going roundy-round with other boats and your CF hull flips on the back straight it'll be mostly invisible as the cf visually blends into the water and your nifty rig will become an invisible speed bump for your playmates even in the unlikely event each of you has a pitman/spotter at your shoulder. Bright colors are best.

Single on 4S2P :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5ebHR6wR4
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks for your input. Very interesting.

I?m thinking to run the boat on 6S as I?ve got another boat coming that also uses 6S so would allow me to use the same lipos.

Is there any significant run time diff between a larger motor single vs 2x smaller cans?

Besides costs and set up, does a single have any handling advantage or disadvantage?

you get a bit more runtime out of twin ,you get more hassle with a twin and the motors has to be in sync (motors and esc must be exactly the same)otherwise the setup is hopeless ,with a single is the setup more to find the best prop and kv for boat depending what you with it just oval racing or saw but all in all if you want go fast no long run time (2min maybe more if you can the temp down)

To me setting up a twin propeller selection is the downside. On a single you have larger range of pitch, blade area, rake and diameters. Reverse rotation are not always made for your fine tuned setup. Just one factor to consider.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

I run dual 4082 2000kv motors with SMC 4S 6300mah in my Cheetah. Using 4814 props I run 62mph with 8 minute run times and the escs and motors temps are 95 deg, barely warm. Next year I will try 5014 and 5214 props.