Thread: All Motor wires get really hot.

Default All Motor wires get really hot.

I just finished my raider.
    150 esc tried 120 esc too. Stock timing esc. Stock Ul motor T90 on 4s battery 75c and 6.5 bullets the kind with holes in them. Prop 1815 same prop as all the other guys use. Using all large water fitting with rudder hole enlarged so water flow not a issue.

Ran boat for 4 or 5 laps and temp it out. Esc 100 motor 110 . Motor wire connectors 150 batter connectors very hot batteries hotter than I like. Everything just soldered up. After this I replaced the esc and the same thing happen .

Motor wires where solders into connectors that have holes in them. So not a lot of solder in there . Never had this issue before.

Thx for help TOM

Cool

Could be several reasons for high temps:

- too much prop for your setup, regardless of what ?all the other guys? use.
    - a bind in the driveline
    - motor problem, or wrong motor. How do you know it?s a ~2200 Kv motor?
    - how big are the laps? Standard 1/6th mile?
    - bad batteries - exactly what battery are you using? Exactly what was their temp after a run?

Actually, 100-110* F on the motor and ESC is not too hot at all, especially in summer. Heck, my motor and ESC can start out at 100*. I?d suspect just the battery, except hot wires usually mean excessive amps. A UL-1 motor should not draw much over 80-90 amps in a racing setup.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

-You could have a bad solder joint causing extra amperage draw.
    -The boat could be running wet causing it to work harder (more amp draw).
    -Could have some vibration/balance issues in the prop or flex shaft causing extra amp draw.

I live in Texas and lately we are regularly 90-99 F. ambient temps.
    My motor, batteries, and ESC regularly live in the 110-135 F. range while running the boat, and this if fine. The motor and ESC are ok till about 160 F.+
    My wires are generally right there matching my battery temps around 110-120 F.

These situations do not every have a clear answer unless connectors/solder joints are an issue and at some point they will melt and come un-done.

1. I'd start by checking the shaft for marks and re-balance the prop.
    2. You might want to play with battery placement and or strut angle to get the boat less wet.
    3. Next I'd try a smaller prop.
    4. Motor

Should all three wires be close in temperature and what would be considered hot? I find on my TP 4060 6.5 castle bullets can get
    around 135-150 with one wire usually cooler. Using a temp gun on the motor coil and I will see temperature around 145 degrees.
    :canada

Well, bad bullets quality or bad solders, can you post a picture ?

Oh I see the light now . I need to install a body massager in my boat. That the dumbest reply I ever read. Don’t reply I can’t take anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmen77 View Post
    I just finished my raider.
    150 esc tried 120 esc too. Stock timing esc. Stock Ul motor T90 on 4s battery 75c and 6.5 bullets the kind with holes in them. Prop 1815 same prop as all the other guys use. Using all large water fitting with rudder hole enlarged so water flow not a issue.

Ran boat for 4 or 5 laps and temp it out. Esc 100 motor 110 . Motor wire connectors 150 batter connectors very hot batteries hotter than I like. Everything just soldered up. After this I replaced the esc and the same thing happen .

Motor wires where solders into connectors that have holes in them. So not a lot of solder in there . Never had this issue before.

Thx for help TOM
    Had the same issues with one of my boats in the summer, as it turns out, it was a clearance problem with my drivetrain, my strut has 2 bearings and I was not giving enough clearance in front of the drive dog. My batteries was running 140+ degrees before I figured it out, never happened before. So now I give myself 2.5 -3mm clearance. That eventually solved my problems
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2