Thread: Wire connectors getting blue colored how to clean off

Default Wire connectors getting blue colored how to clean off

My wire connectors and receiver pin are turning a light blue. What and how to clean it off? Thx

The blue is verdigris (copper's equivalent to rust). Most connectors used in RC are made from brass (which is a copper/zinc alloy).

If they are of half decent quality, the connectors and pins will be gold plated to prevent corrosion, them turning green is a sign that you have worn through the plating and it is time to replace them.

You can clean off the wire connectors with vinegar to postpone their replacement, but I wouldn't want to get that on my RX so abrading it off the RX pins is probably your best bet, even though it will remove more of the gold plating from them and make them even more prone to corroding in the future.

Best practice is to stop water getting in you boat in the first place, but sometimes the worst happens for one of many reasons and water gets in, it happens to us all eventually, but how you cope with it makes a big difference. Firstly remove power as soon as possible, remove your electrics and rinse everything with clean fresh water, dry it of quickly, rinse everything again in IPA or similar high purity alcohol to dilute remaining water and remove the impurities the water left behind, thoroughly dry, then apply a water dispersant like WD40. If done quick enough after an accident, this can not only stop your connectors going green but save the life of your RX/ESC/motor, and sometimes even bring them back to life.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.