Thread: 30A ESC motor recommendation

Default 30A ESC motor recommendation

Hello all,

I am looking for a motor that my Seaking 30A V3 ESC will drive, something at least 3500kv, bigger than 20mm. I was running Seaking 2040SL 4800kv but I have burnt 2 of them up now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mitch

A 2435 sized motor might work , but it's not gonna leave a lot of room for errors with a 30amp esc.
    Hobbyking sells a few in that size i believe , could have a look at those.

I take it from the KV you are after that you are on 2s which isn't ideal, 3s and around 3000kv lowers the amp draw a lot.

I have been there and done that with long 20mm motors, most 20mm motors are pretty *!***!***!***!**, and even a 20mm Lehner isn't nearly as efficient as a midrange shorter 28mm motor of similar mass when turning efficiently sized boat props.

Mega 16/15/X, Tenshock 1515/X, Lehner 1515/X are all great motors for that ESC, that are available in both 2s and 3s KVs. Mega and Tenshock Viper are good performing and good value mid range motors, Tenshock EVO and Lehner are high end motors and are more efficient, but come with a hefty price tag. If you are budget oriented and are morally OK with clones then HETRC's EDF2W and EDF3W are fairly decent knock offs of the Mega 16/15/2 and 16/15/3 motors at a considerably lower price.

Not ideal as you already have a heavy watercooled ESC, but another good choice for a different setup is a 2212 or 2216 scorpion outrunner, with a 50A plane ESC (on 3s only), you don't need watercooling which in a small light boat can easily shave >5% off the RTR boat weight.

They will all efficiently push an 18" 500g boat at race speeds on about 30A 2s, or 20A 3s.

If you boat is smaller and lighter than that at about 15" 350g I would use a Turnigy XK or Leopard 2435mm motor.

IMO 20mm motors are best with short cans and used in <12" 200g boats (that your ESC would dwarf).
    Last edited by NativePaul; 07-21-2021 at 04:24 PM.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I will look at those options.

Found or still looking?
    I just saw your thread thats why bit late to reply here.