Thread: OSE 150A ESC Programming for Reverse Rotation Issue

Default OSE 150A ESC Programming for Reverse Rotation Issue

I need some quick help with my new OSE 150A ESC and Leopard 5692 1090Kv motor set up (Dont have the programming card). I am using a Spektrum DX2E for control.

When I set up initially, I of course, forgot to calibrate the trigger. As such, the ESC did what it was suppose to and did continuous beeping. However, it wouldnt register the receiver messaging until I reversed two of the wires between the ESC and Motor. Once I did that (With the DX2E in "normal" throttle position) and calibrated the throttle, it registered both the throttle and the steering servo signals with normal controlled Input (call this set up A). The problem though, is its rotating in clockwise rotation and I have a counterclockwise flex shaft and Prop. Now when I either revers two of the ESC to motor wires or reverse the control on the DX2E from "Normal" to "reverse", the ESC sends a full throttle message to the motor (call this set up B). This can be controlled though by putting throttle all the way forward as if there is a brake. However, even with the brake, I think it still is turning clockwise and I dont think it should be, right Its obviously a throttle calibration issue but I am almost afraid to continue to troubleshoot (in set up B mode) as it goes to full throttle immediately when I connect and can only be controlled with reverse trigger. I am considering a CW flex shaft and prop but I would rather figure how to get the ESC to work in CCW rotation. Any help would be greatly appreciated here.
    Last edited by Brushless1; 07-22-2021 at 12:32 PM.

I've never seen the act of switching motors wires effect anything other than the rotation of the motor.

I would start with "setup B" since this spins the motor in the direction you want. Put the transmitter throttle switch in the Normal position and set throttle trim to 0. Start over and do a new throttle calibration. Turn on the transmitter, while holding the throttle wide open, power on the ESC and wait for a beep response. Let go of the throttle (neutral position) and the ESC should beep again indicating the calibration is complete. Power off the ESC, then power it back on again, and in theory, you should be good to go.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Yep, exactly what I was thinking too. I will try tonight and provide feedback. It has to be the way I "didnt" calibrate for the CCW rotation.

Ok so here's the final assessment - Good news, Bad news Good news.

Good news: When I switched motor wires to set up B, holding the trigger full throttle, and this time giving the ESC time to calibrate, it worked. Prop was spinning CCW with calibrated throttle input. So, now the bad news. Although I didnt give it full throttle by any means I did try 1/2 throttle for a few blips in CCW configuration. After about 4 blips, everything siezed. Doh! So the flex cable came unwound partially and bound up. I had to roll the flex cable back out by twisting clockwise. If came out and I looked close at the cable. I think both the prop and the cable are CCW rotation. Someone please look at my photos and confirm the cable and the prop (I am 100% sure prop is) are CCW rotation. If this is the case, and assuming the configuration of CCW is when viewing looking from the stern to the bow and reading just like a clock (meaning right turn is CW and left turn is CCW) then the only thing I can figure is the few times when in right hand motor spinning when it went full throttle that was enough to compromise or weaken the cable. And then when I put to CCW rotation tonight, that was the last straw to unwind the cable and lock it up.

All in All I feel pretty good I got the cable out without too much difficulty. There was no way it was pulling out, just CW twisting backwards Now to buy a new .125 CCW rotation cable to go with the CCW prop, and I will be on my way to the lake!

IMG_2369(2).jpg IMG_2370(2).jpg
    Last edited by Brushless1; 07-22-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Yes, both the prop and the cable pictured are setup for CCW rotation. Perhaps the uncontrolled madness prior to the calibration damaged the teflon liner if the cable spun CW for too long. A 56mm motor has a lot of torque, especially when spinning it dry with a prop attached.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)