Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stable 180 km/h build

Quote Originally Posted by plinse View Post
    Well the OP starts the discussion with a performance definition and asks for open budget solutions.

When looking at the components available I would rather go for an Exocet using TP engines and ZTW300 ESC instead of going for something smaller and picking MGM. Value for money is poor on the MGM BUT the size around 1,15m is difficult to equip.
    If you really want to go fast the ZTW200A are a little too weak, the ZTW300 are far too big and heavy and the MGM cost twice the money AND MGM defined to be benchmark when running them with Lehner. They do not have that target of supplying the best controllers when running them with "any chinese motor". MGM and Lehner is a binding combination for me. If I would be willing to spend the money on MGM I would also spend the money on Lehner motors. The other way around: If I know a good combination of Lehner motor and a different ESC MGM is not binding for me when using Lehner

My small red boat in the video is in the 75cm size-range. There are Lehner motors in it and 2 Flycolor 150A ESC.
    That is a lovely size of boat and you can equip it with small budget BUT you need absolutely flat water as it is a small boat.

For me there is a big gap between <= 6s using Flycolor 150A ESC and bigger boats when looking for "value for money setups".

The ZTW200A are much more expensive then the Flycolor 150A and I don't think they can really handle 1/3 more current

When looking for value for money setups the ZTW300A is a good choice again, as you mentioned:

Partly true - looking for value for money I would skip MGM at first and several friends had problems running MGM with "more then 2 pole motors".
    Going for quality starts with Lehner motors for me and only leads to MGM if there is no other good controller around

Spending money only partly scales with the size of the boat, it scales much more with the brands (?quality?) of the components in use. My 75cm Katamaran has more expensive motors in it then an Exocet on SSS motors would have. Then sum up that the Exocet would run on ZTW300 and the drives of my 75cm boat and the Exocet would need a similar budget for motors and ESC.

Of course a set of 4s LiPo is much less expensive but running them SAW-style also kills them quickly and the Exocet would run 12s2p also giving much more runtime.

Big boats help to have fun on big lakes.

AND in the 1,15m range it is currently very difficult to buy strong hulls. You crack a hull and drown your components and we are not talking about budget any more
    HPR does not produce any more and the quality of MHZ is changing from day to day, a friend just had to do severe repairs after the first flip of his Mystic 114 at only 120km/h, no comparison of that hull to a HPR 115. I have not heard of a HPR or an Exocet being damaged in the first flip just having had contact to water. If you crash in the bank you crack every boat, that is for sure but doing a flip at medium speed with a CAFK-boat in the middle of a lake? You can also go for a Zonda then ...

Just my thoughts on this...

Regards, Eike
    OK, than you so much for you insight. I too was thinking that mgm and lehner are sort of a golden combo. And that one leads to the other.

As I said in one of my other answers It will be a while until the build. Might have changed my opinions until then and might just purchase a hull recommended from you guys and the best from lehner/mgm.

I guess you really need to come back around with what you actually want, SAW boat, Basher? bit of both?

At one point It was top spec setup, then down to budget etc..

You'd probably get a reliable 70-80 on a properly setup 40" cat even using budget motors and Flycolour 150amp esc's. just less margin for error. If you want to start going 180km/h regularly reliably you enter the realm of the top spec gear...

let us know how you get on.
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12