Thread: bringing Lipo back from the dead

Default bringing Lipo back from the dead

Is there anyway to bring lipo's back from O volts , my chargers are not letting me even set to NiMh settings ? thanks

Hey Chris... I do believe once they're done .....they're Done..... sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    Hey Chris... I do believe once they're done .....they're Done..... sorry...
    I disagree. Had one at the bottom of the pond all winter. Came up Zero. Hooked my Car Charger yes Car Charger to it at about 10 amps to get some voltage into it. (it's a dumb charger) Maybe a few Minutes. It put enough into the battery to let the charger recognize it. Just don't leave it alone with the dumb charger on it. Hook your cell reader to it while its on the car charger to monitor the cells.

Ok.....well.... mabe i stand corrected..... New one to me.... and ive had lipos since 04..... Worth a try ...

Try it with your charger on charge setting, not balance charge. Don't plug in the balance lead.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I use an astoflite lipo charger, crank it up to full on the dial and watch for 10-15 . then on to the Hyperion with balance tabs and I'm good to go.
    Cheers, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    I use an Astoflite Lipo charger, crank it up to full on the dial and watch for 10-15 . then on to the Hyperion with balance tabs and I'm good to go.
    Cheers, Jay.
    Jay
    The Astro is a good choice for this because, the start cycle on the Astro is full output for the first two minutes, before it checks the voltage in the cells.

LJ
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    Is there anyway to bring lipo's back from O volts , my chargers are not letting me even set to NiMh settings ? thanks
    You should be glad that your charger acts like this.

A completely discharged LiPo is gone. That's it, this has to be prevented earlier.

The good thing is that a LiPo @ 0V has no energy to burn and your charger not charging the LiPo keeps it this way.
    Just search for "LiPo fire" at youtube ... you don't really want that and you should definately not keep such a LiPo in your house.

With a LiPo fire in your house you can be homeless in quite short time and loose everything.
    This is why I am quite conservative with LiPo. We had several fires at our RC-Airfield and lost one car due to it there, it's no fun.
    A club mate lost his garage and 2 cars at home due to charging in the garage, insurace did not pay and called it stupidity to charge in a Garage where he was also keeping fuel for the lawn mover. That was quite expensive already but still far away from loosing the house itself

All club mates affected had one thing in common: They were not the most careful ones with their LiPo Batteries, some told stories like this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    I disagree. Had one at the bottom of the pond all winter. Came up Zero. Hooked my Car Charger yes Car Charger to it at about 10 amps to get some voltage into it. (it's a dumb charger) Maybe a few Minutes. It put enough into the battery to let the charger recognize it. Just don't leave it alone with the dumb charger on it. Hook your cell reader to it while its on the car charger to monitor the cells.
    Actually you are gambling with statistics...
    It may work out, the LiPo can also catch fire 10 runs later.

All together over the last ~15 years all the club mates with LiPo-fire-issues all were completely innocent when you ask them personally .
    When you ask me as an electrical engineer I would rather say that they were asking for it and after several abuse of their batteries they finally got one burning in situations where they did not expect it to happen as the misuse causing damage took place some time earlier.

My personal statistic is pretty clear: Some people asking for it get a LiPo burning from time to time. Some accept that they asked for it, some have so little understanding of what they are doing that they are convinced it should not have happend
    Next flight with a 12s setup and LiPo-Cut off you ask them after a flight to check the LiPo and the weakest cell has 2,5V no load and they still don't understand that this is not good

All together with these observations LiPo are pretty safe but you should not ask them to cause a fire. Sometimes they do after some time
    Last edited by plinse; 07-17-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    I agree, Ive done similar with a jump pack. But this pack will always be one of those I monitor closely.

Best way to try is with a standalone power supply where you can limit current and voltage. You want to set a very low current of ~0.2A (1A max). At these low voltages, the Lipo will generate a lot of heat trying to go back to standard levels.
    I wouldn't try placing it in parallel with other packs, you can't control the current. Do this where an explosive release doesn't matter (outside, patio etc.)
    Run for 5 min, stop and measure with a voltmeter (source disconnected). If it's still 0V it's toast, and you can give up, nothing will bring it back. If it shows signs of life, continue up until ~ 3V. At that point, you can use your standard charger.

This will never work if you have a defective balance cable, had it many times when the tap at the lipo was broken. Those I throw away if it's the actual tap and not just the wire.
    Only dispose of Lipos if there are all at 0V (all cells).

I typically salvage the good cells and build my own Lipo's, just don't mix cells from different packs/manufacturers, but it's all possible. Not recommended unless you know what you are doing