Thread: <1.4 pitch 1/8" prop

Default <1.4 pitch 1/8" prop

Hello all,

I have a Pro Boat React 17 that I installed a Seaking 2040 4800KV motor with 30A ESC and new shaft to run a standard drive dog prop mount set up. The stock props cannot handle the extra torque and rpm and are breaking. I have tried a handful of different props from OSE in 1.4 and 1.5 pitch from 30mm to 35mm. These have too much pitch for the high rpm and light boat, they don't bite at first and when they do get the boat moving they are causing it to chine walk badly and handling is drastically reduced. Also, the RPM is too low for the desired speeds.

I don't know what the pitch on the stock 35mm is but it performs the best by far. It bites right away and doesn't chine walk. Maybe a 1.2ish or less?

Measured stock prop (24mm pitch / 35mm diameter = .69) Was way off thinking 1.2ish

I'm having a hard time finding anything in 1/8", 32-35mm with less than 1.4 pitch. Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Last edited by mmars89; 07-09-2021 at 06:29 AM.

Seeing as i run a small boat as well if i wwre you imo i would Jmjust run the stock prop i did this on my traxxas blast but running the prop anywhere near the surface was bad because it caused cavitation so i eventually changed it out. The stock prop had a slight pitch to it like you are explaining here also so it seems interesting you mentioned this.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida_Blast1984 View Post
    Seeing as i run a small boat as well if i wwre you imo i would Jmjust run the stock prop i did this on my traxxas blast but running the prop anywhere near the surface was bad because it caused cavitation so i eventually changed it out. The stock prop had a slight pitch to it like you are explaining here also so it seems interesting you mentioned this.
    I would definitely run the stock prop if it would hold up to the high RPM... They are very weak, I have ripped blades off 5 of them in 6 or 7 runs. At $8/ea I cannot justify it. Need to find a metal, carbon or plastic/glass replacement that can handle the speed.

Thats makin meha power then lol. I just got my dad thay boat and im trying to keep.it stock since hes a newb its tempting for him even not knowing anything yet only time will tell. Im a bit of a newb also, i know that if you have gone thru most of the ose ones metal may be your route for durability and then maybe seeing if custom ones could be possibly be made or found used on another boat in a catalogue maybe? Octura? There are several manufacturers that could possibly offer one close to the stock pitch, contacting the manufacturer for dimensions of that stock prop pitch and pattern would also be needed.

If you don't mind spending and waiting for the best, Dr Props original Naviga series were 1.15- 1.25 pitch CNC stainless, and available in 1/8" dog or 4mm threaded at that size.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida_Blast1984 View Post
    Thats makin meha power then lol. I just got my dad thay boat and im trying to keep.it stock since hes a newb its tempting for him even not knowing anything yet only time will tell. Im a bit of a newb also, i know that if you have gone thru most of the ose ones metal may be your route for durability and then maybe seeing if custom ones could be possibly be made or found used on another boat in a catalogue maybe? Octura? There are several manufacturers that could possibly offer one close to the stock pitch, contacting the manufacturer for dimensions of that stock prop pitch and pattern would also be needed.
    They are fun little boats for sure! My buddy and I are working in Ohio and rented a place with a nice pond in the backyard, it's roughly 90' by 150' so we wanted to stick to small boats to mess around with after work. With the 2040 motors on 3S they are ridiculous ha. Takes some finesse to keep them on the water, but so much fun. 1.4 pitch is just too aggressive for our purpose, we need fast pick up and are not worried about top speed, between the small pond, small boats and 4800kv motors we can't go flat out with the low pitch stock props anyways. The stock prop hooks up instantly and lets the motor spin a lot fast for the speeds we want to do. We wouldn't even be looking to change anything if the stock props were holding together. The 1.4's are not even usable for our application, night and day difference.

I emailed Pro Boat for the pitch of the stock prop but haven't heard back yet. I have also contacted Dr Props and he says he can build something for us. We are also going to take the stock props to the machine shop we deal with for work to see if they can replicate them in aluminum for a reasonable cost, and to be cut for drive dog mounting rather than threaded. I will post an update once we decide what we are going to do.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    If you don't mind spending and waiting for the best, Dr Props original Naviga series were 1.15- 1.25 pitch CNC stainless, and available in 1/8" dog or 4mm threaded at that size.

Thanks for the contact! I reached out to him and he said he can have something built in 2-3 days for us. We are now trying to determine the most cost effective solution. We appreciate the info!

Thanks