Thread: MHZ Ocean spray prop recommendation

Default MHZ Ocean spray prop recommendation

Hi guys! I got my ocean spray running and was looking for prop recommendations. The hull is about 48" and I'm running the following:
    Tp5670 600kv on 12s2p (2 sets of 6s packs wired in series then in parallel) 16,000 mah total.
    300 swordfish x+
    60mm 1.4 2 blade prop
    Flex center line is 1/2" above the lowest point on bottom of the hull

I'm getting 52mph and everything comes in at a luke warm temp

I'm just a sport boater, I make a fast pass in a straight slow down for turns and repeat. I have a small body of water to run in. I'd like to see 60mph.

I just got an abc h 2514 cleaver prop and thought it looked to big. I thought I saw someone else running a similar setup with this prop so I purchased it.

Would this be a good prop for this setup?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Last edited by Rich; 06-30-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Hello ,

just curious, which 6s 8000 packs do you have? Brand, Weight, C rate? I hope you are using 6-8mm connectors? if the 8000 are CNHL 30C or turnigy graph?ne 15C, this is is fine...
    with your 60mm prop, speed should be more than 55mph, anyway the 2514 will work well and should give you 10mph extra speed. your boat weights 25 lbs I think, and it will fly because the 2514 has no lift..

Vincent

[QUOTE=Brushman;756043]Hello ,

just curious, which 6s 8000 packs do you have? Brand, Weight, C rate? I hope you are using 6-8mm connectors? if the 8000 are CNHL 30C or turnigy graph?ne 15C, this is is fine...
    with your 60mm prop, speed should be more than 55mph, anyway the 2514 will work well and should give you 10mph extra speed. your boat weights 25 lbs I think, and it will fly because the 2514 has no lift..

Vincent[/
    Sorry I had to delete my previous post I have 8000 mah packs 120c rating that weigh 929 grams I'm using 8 mm connectors I'm just worried the motor and ESC couldn't handle a prop this big at this RPM

Thanks
    Rich
    Last edited by Rich; 07-03-2021 at 06:43 PM.

hello,

it seems you have SMC packs, I do not worry for the esc or batteries, only the motor will work at its maximum power, so making a two minutes run make sense. If your boat is reaching 65 mph with this prop, it will be fine, if it seems slower than with the 60m prop, stop the boat ...
    I owned a Ocean spray, and this hull is not dragging...

Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Brushman View Post
    hello,

it seems you have SMC packs, I do not worry for the esc or batteries, only the motor will work at its maximum power, so making a two minutes run make sense. If your boat is reaching 65 mph with this prop, it will be fine, if it seems slower than with the 60m prop, stop the boat ...
    I owned a Ocean spray, and this hull is not dragging...

Vincent
    Vincent, you are correct I am running smc packs, sorry I forgot to mention that. I agree with you on the hull not dragging. I will try this prop out and see what it does. I'll give it a short run and check temps.
    Thanks,
    Rich

Vincent, I ran the boat today with the abc H 2514 and got 60mph. The motor was at 116F and the the esc and was at 105. The lipos were around 100f as well. I am happy with it so far. I will mess with esc settings when I get the programming cable to see if I can squeeze some more out of it.
    24 R/C vehicles and still counting...What budget?

Hello Rich,

not surprised I do not see a 600kv 5670 in TP Power rpm tables, I bet it is a little lower Kv....
    If it is a Wye winding, you can pick a few mph more by setting the timing from 5 to 15?, but take care of the motor temp. displacing some weight to the port side can help also to gain speed. Rudder lenght, thickness...Propeller thinning, sharpening. But 60mph is already good!

Vincent

Hello Rich,

not surprised I do not see a 600kv 5670 in TP Power rpm tables, I bet it is a little lower Kv....
    If it is a Wye winding, you can pick a few mph more by setting the timing from 5 to 15?, but take care of the motor temp. displacing some weight to the port side can help also to gain speed. Rudder lenght, thickness...Propeller thinning, sharpening. But 60mph is already good!

Vincent
    It is a wye wind motor according to the specs here on ose's store. You mentioned putting more weight on the port side. Is this to help offset the drag from the rudder being on the starboard side?

No, a rudder blade can create some drag , but also lift on the starboard side. weight on the port side will counteract the prop torque. If your boat is going straight with zero trim on rudder, you do not have to worry.

No, a rudder blade can create some drag , but also lift on the starboard side. weight on the port side will counteract the prop torque. If your boat is going straight with zero trim on rudder, you do not have to worry.
    I do notice when I throttle the boat will actually steer itself to the right a little bit