Thread: Proboat Harbor Tug with Recovery Arms

Default Proboat Harbor Tug with Recovery Arms

ProBoat has a new 30-inch tug that comes with retrieval/recovery arms. I've been using my Southampton Tug for retrieval, and I like that the arms on this tug are engineered into the design.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...Ue4D5Q7Zeq4w5A
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

Good idea for them to include the recovery arms as an integrated option. I might buy one if they prove to be more powerful than my current rescue boat.

$50 for the optional water pump is a little steep.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    $50 for the optional water pump is a little steep.
    Ouch. Agreed.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

i LOVE THE BOAT BUT NOT FOR 500.00. OUCH...
    BJ42'' / Miss Geico 36'' / TFL Hydro 35'' / Retrieval boat 30'' Tug
    Make sure you check out my Youtube channel -----> shorturl.at/ntFQ7

I thought long & hard about this. I even almost "pulled the trigger". But, I think I've decided to stick with my current collection of 3 'part-time' rescue boats (ProBoat Shockwave w/ much lower kV motor & PVC tube rescue platform, TFL Jet Boat, and my just-acquired Tenshock Mini Eco), as all three can be used as 'rescue' boats, as well as for 'pure enjoyment'.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Default For my Recovery boat for my BJ42..

I went with the Feilun FT011 65CM 2.4G Brushless RC Boat High Speed Racing Model With Water Cooling System , plus it has a nose guard where I can hook on my recovery system that I have in mind...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just got my tug. Things cool. Drove it in the pool real quick. Reverse is useless hardly moves just cavitation. This is my first tug i dont know how well reverse should work.

Also the manual is wrong its says ec5 connection and it has a ic3

Quote Originally Posted by jhurlbert View Post
    Just got my tug. Things cool. Drove it in the pool real quick. Reverse is useless hardly moves just cavitation. This is my first tug i dont know how well reverse should work.

Also the manual is wrong its says ec5 connection and it has a ic3
    Were the rescue arms attached while trying reverse? Just wondering if maybe they affected the waterline and kept the prop from running deep enough.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

No they were not

So i am using a 4500mah 3s pack. I moved it from the factory location to back by the servo and much better in reverse. With the recovery arms it will probably act different too so i guess i just need to play with the balance

Does anyone have realistic (by "realistic", I mean, "not goofy Horizon Hobby quality) running video of theirs?

For efficient use of the recovery arm you need excellent view and drive precisely. Some friends have FPV-cameras installed on their rescue boats. Otherwise pushing only works well short distance.
    Including the recovery arm into the design is nice though.

I use a standard jet boat for recovery. It has a tow line with some floats and a hook made from florist wire in the end and that really works well based on keeping the whole thing simple.
    For having fun the jet boat runs on 3s, for rescue it runs on 2s and it has worked out for up to 2m power boats already.
    A friend uses such a system:
    https://www.hydromarine.de/Zubehoer/...r:::3_118.html
    You can turn a boat around with it but you have to hit it right.

Usually it is quicker to use my jet boat as hitting the capsized boat right usually takes longer as it needs precise driving... and you can get a tow-line almost for free, just look what you have lying around at home
    Protect the jet inlet and you are done using a boat that can additionally be fun

pretty cool
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Default Working on my recovery system for my BlackJack 42..

Just need to go grab some more 1/2''PVC pipe and some pool noodles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by UpliFT-RC View Post
    Just need to go grab some more 1/2''PVC pipe and some pool noodles.
    I'm trying to figure out "why" the offset rescue platform. With ALL other rescue platforms I've seen they are ALWAYS centered to the boat pushing. I would think that having an offset platform like that could cause problems with steering. Combined with the rudder also being offset, and those steering problems cound be compounded.

When I first converted my ProBoat Shockwave to being my primary rescue boat, one of the first things I discovered was that having that off-center rudder caused SERIOUS steering problems. The boat, on its own, could steer left & right fairly equally-well. When pushing the platform without a rescued boat, while I could easily turn right, turning left was a bit more difficult (the 'left' turning radius was 2-3x the the 'right' turning radius). And then, when pushing a rescued boat, turning left was COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE...I could go straight, and I could turn right, but I could NOT turn left AT ALL.

However, after adding a second rudder, perfectly spaced to the left of the prop ('left' & 'right' rudders are PERFECTLY upright, and PERFECTLY spaced to the left & right of the prop), I am now able to turn equally-well to the left & right. Granted, the turning radius is still lessened when pushing a rescued boat (compared to driving the boat without the platform, or driving the boat with an 'empty' platform)...but, I am, at leasdt, able to turn EQUALLY in either direction. It's been a while, but here's the dual-rudder conversion post, complete with a link to a short (approx. 10 seconds) video of the operational dual-rudder:
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...57-Dual-Rudder

So i did my fist prop shaft service. The manual sucks. It says there is a 1.5mm set screw for the prop and there is not one and it says the jam nut is a 5.5mm and its a 7mm. The pictures in the manual make this process confusing it looks like they are removing the kort nozzle but they aren’t. I also ended up drilling a hole through the deck for easy access to the motor coupler
    5F502F0E-CC68-458A-BFFC-B38347A851AB.jpg
    Last edited by jhurlbert; 07-19-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Got the water cannons going today. Cool feature. I am very happy with this boat even though it has a high price tag. I needed a good rescue boat

Just curious, but, does anyone have ANY spec info on the motor...specifically the length/diameter dimensions, the Turn-rating, and (if possible) the kV equivalency. Normally, I have no problem getting through to Horizon Hobby support, but something was seriously 'goofy' with their phone system yesterday, so speaking with anytime there was impossible.

UPDATE: Never mind...I've decided to take my current rescue boat (ProBoat Shockwave) is a different direction, which will now include installing two 370-based water pumps (one for the motor cooling line to the other for the ESC cooling line). The rest of the info, I'll pay on the Shockwave section.

Last edited by Panther6834; 07-25-2021 at 04:49 AM.

This thing is awesome i can now run my boats far from shore with out any worry of swimming or paddling out to get a boat. The fpv camera i installed makes it a breeze to line up a boat for rescue far away. Money well spent. This rudder system is awesome tons of maneuverability even at low speeds. I am very happy because of all the time i have spent rescuing my blackjack 42 that blows over all the time

Nice job with the FPV camera! Where did you get it?

Amazon

So i did my fist prop shaft service. The manual sucks. It says there is a 1.5mm set screw for the prop and there is not one and it says the jam nut is a 5.5mm and its a 7mm. The pictures in the manual make this process confusing it looks like they are removing the kort nozzle but they aren?t. I also ended up drilling a hole through the deck for easy access to the motor coupler
    5F502F0E-CC68-458A-BFFC-B38347A851AB.jpg
    Hello, thanks for sharing this. I just picked this up for a recovery boat and am thoroughly confused as to how to remove the prop in order to grease the shaft. I agree with you the manual is confusing in this regard. Where the hell is the 1.5mm set screw they keep referencing? Manual says back off 5.5mm nut from prop by turning it clockwise??

I also like the hole you drilled for easier access to the coupler. I was wondering how the heck to reach the coupler without a lot of fuss, great idea, care to share what size hole you drilled, 1/4"?

I realize this thread is a bit dated but thanks for posting this, really helps a newb like me. Appreciate any feedback anyone may have.

No you do not have to remove the nozzle. I dont think it is even possible to remove the nozzle without damage. Just loosen the motor coupler from the prop shaft (i drilled a hole in the deck so i could get a long driver in there for the screw because trying do do it all under the deck would be a huge pain) then pull the shaft out of the coupler by pulling on the prop. Once the prop is out of the coupler take the propeller off of the shaft. Once the propeller is off you can turn the nozzle a little so you can slide the shaft through it. Also its not a flex shaft it is just a solid drive shaft

And forget about the 1.5mm screw i think they might be referring to thread size or head size or something but i forget its been too long. And i dont know what size i drilled just enough so i could get on the coupler with a long driver (use good tools because it can be stripped out easily).i used a step bit. I just eyeballed it and i think i remember i would have liked it a little bit further forward than i drilled it

Thank you for this information and quick reply . I assume once the shaft is out of the coupler you must rotate the prop counter clockwise to remove it from the shaft?

I forget it was to long ago but i dont remember left hand threads.