Thread: Best way to assemble a wire drive

Default Best way to assemble a wire drive

Would using Loctite 603 retaining compound be strong enough to hold a .078 piano wire in a prop shaft? I've used the 603 on my 150 cables and haven't had any issues. I will be running the wire drive in a P limited sport hydro.

For sure, 603 is my go to for wires.

The thinner compound gives less issues with hydraulic lock preventing you from fully inserting the wire, and with a solid round wire going into a round hole you don't need the gap filling abilities of 638/648 that you do with multi strand flex shafts in a round hole.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I can build about 4 wire drives for the price of one. How far past the expiration date is the 603 still good? Just noticed my bottle is about 6 months too old.

The only wire drive glue failures I ever had were due to old 603. As I recall by the time I discovered that the 603 was the problem the bottle was about one year past the expiration date. I suspect a lot depends on how long the bottle was opened, and how it was stored before use, including on the store shelf.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The only wire drive glue failures I ever had were due to old 603. As I recall by the time I discovered that the 603 was the problem the bottle was about one year past the expiration date. I suspect a lot depends on how long the bottle was opened, and how it was stored before use, including on the store shelf.

I'll throw that bottle out then. Why risk losing a prop because of a $10 bottle of 603. Thanks guys

Correction, the 603 is about $20 for the small bottle. Never the less its money well spent.

603 is also oil tolerant. So if you don't get everything perfectly clean it's not the end of the world. Sometimes you can't get all the crap out of the inside.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    603 is also oil tolerant. So if you don't get everything perfectly clean it's not the end of the world. Sometimes you can't get all the crap out of the inside.
    Good to know, thank you sir.

You're showing your cards Travis!!

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    You're showing your cards Travis!!
    I've been working on the P limited sport, actually a complete rebuild. Figured I needed to step it up after I saw yours run in San Angelo. Same electronics though.

I used to make them with stacks of ball bearings. Pain in the butt. I've made them for P sports, P mono, even a Q sport. One of the P mono had something out of center. Spun it up too much on land. Resonated bad. Then shaft bent right at the stinger. Tossed the prop. The prop hit me in the throat. SO lucky. SO stupid!

Learn from my dumb. Be careful. Well.....more careful than I was.
    Noisy person