Thread: Motor timing Turnigy T20 730kv "Y" winding

Default Motor timing Turnigy T20 730kv "Y" winding

I am currently setting the ESC parameters for my 1330mm TFL "Outerlimits" and have set the timing to 8 degrees. It is configured as a "Y" winding. What would be a suitable timing please for normal sport running on a "Y" winding? I am trying to minimise heat in the motor.

Also, I am unable to find how many poles the T20 Turnigy motor is.
    Last edited by Old School; 06-09-2021 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Additional info

To answer my second question it seems that they may be four pole as similar SkyRC Proteus motors are described as such.

This response from Fluid back in July last year in relation to motor timing.

Quote: "Years ago I asked Steve Neu what timing was best for Y and Delta winds. He told me 8*-15* was a good range for Y motors, and Delta motors liked 0-4.8*. Maybe he knows something about BL motors...

I suspect that some sources specify low timing thinking to protect their customers from overheating an over-propped motor. Since most of our motors were originally designed for planes - which usually have much lower amp draw - lower timing may work better for them. Too low timing in a high amp Y-powered boat will slow it down and overheat things."

I set my timing a little higher than 8* on a Y wind, but it depends on what increments your ESC works at too. Your quote from Fluid is spot on
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Many thanks. Yes, I was thinking of trying 12 degrees.