Thread: Need suggestion on motor upgrade

Default Need suggestion on motor upgrade

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a motor upgrade preferably a bigger size can, a 4074 maybe for my Pursuit
    I Will be keeping the Seaking 180A ESC, 4S lipo (I have 3 of them) I have 2 props on hand a 442 stock prop and a 440/3 blade.

1) 4074/2000kv
    2) 4074/2200kv
    I am looking at the above 2 motors(they are the same in price)

Which do you think fits better for a 4S setup, that will give me at least a decent run time and that I can be able to use the 2 props I own?

Current setup: stock 3660 1620kv / 4S 5200mah 70c / seaking 180A / CNC 440/3blade prop
    I find its speed becoming a little boring now and I am looking for a better speed for weekend sporting run use only and no racing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRDc9Bf5X1Q

Cheers!
    Monet

Very popular boat, you should get a lot of opinions. I'm mine I am running a leopard 4082 1600 KV that I run on 4, 5, and 6-S. With that motor I use
    octura X-445, X447, and X-448. Same ESC as you are using. Very happy with this combination. I have got it into the low 60's on very smooth water
    but it is a good dependable boat. One of my favorites.

I realize now telling you about my boat didn't help much with your question.
    If you are trying to work with the batteries and props you already have and not buy anything else other than a new motor either of the two you are considering will work fine and be a nice upgrade compared to the stock one.
    The 4082 is only $10 more. I have a couple of 4074's, although in other
    boats, the 4082 feels a lot stronger. More guts. More balls. If you go to the bigger motor I would stay with the 2000 KV as it will be a little easier on your batteries and ESC, and you will also get a little more run time,and you will still have a nice fast boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    I realize now telling you about my boat didn't help much with your question.
    If you are trying to work with the batteries and props you already have and not buy anything else other than a new motor either of the two you are considering will work fine and be a nice upgrade compared to the stock one.
    The 4082 is only $10 more. I have a couple of 4074's, although in other
    boats, the 4082 feels a lot stronger. More guts. More balls. If you go to the bigger motor I would stay with the 2000 KV as it will be a little easier on your batteries and ESC, and you will also get a little more run time,and you will still have a nice fast boat.
    no worries Pancho. so if 4082 vs 4074 in 2000kv. Which will be more easy on my 4S 1 piece battery and longer run times.
    Thanks
    Monet

Of you look at the wattage capabilities of the two motors 1500 vs 2400 the
    4074 will be substantially easier and give you more run time. I don't know if you are aware of how to calculate what batteries can deliver. 5200 mh @
    70C would be able to withstand 360 amps (on paper anyway). Don't trust it or push it, BUT the point I am trying to make is that your batteries are pretty stout. They can deliver much more than ESC could handle. It's rated
    at 180 amps. How much amperage a motor pulls or uses depends on how hard you work it. Boat weight and trim can influence load but by far the
    biggest factor is prop size and pitch. Both of yours are on the small side.Back to motors for a minute. The 4074 won't and can't pull as much as the 4082, BUT same boat, batteries,and prop the bigger motor won't be working as hard to perform the same amount of work. I think you're OKAY with either one. If you don't already own these things two very important
    and inexpensive tools to help you save your equipment are a tempeture gun
    and a voltage checker. Check temperature after 2-21/2 minuits, 120 F is
    alright, 130 F is getting to the limit. Don't run your batteries until the low
    voltage on the ESC kicks in. Over discharge is the worst thing you can do to them. I don't like to take mine below 3.7 volts. Check them after each run and you will soon develop a feel for when it is time.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    Of you look at the wattage capabilities of the two motors 1500 vs 2400 the
    4074 will be substantially easier and give you more run time. I don't know if you are aware of how to calculate what batteries can deliver. 5200 mh @
    70C would be able to withstand 360 amps (on paper anyway). Don't trust it or push it, BUT the point I am trying to make is that your batteries are pretty stout. They can deliver much more than ESC could handle. It's rated
    at 180 amps. How much amperage a motor pulls or uses depends on how hard you work it. Boat weight and trim can influence load but by far the
    biggest factor is prop size and pitch. Both of yours are on the small side.Back to motors for a minute. The 4074 won't and can't pull as much as the 4082, BUT same boat, batteries,and prop the bigger motor won't be working as hard to perform the same amount of work. I think you're OKAY with either one. If you don't already own these things two very important
    and inexpensive tools to help you save your equipment are a tempeture gun
    and a voltage checker. Check temperature after 2-21/2 minuits, 120 F is
    alright, 130 F is getting to the limit. Don't run your batteries until the low
    voltage on the ESC kicks in. Over discharge is the worst thing you can do to them. I don't like to take mine below 3.7 volts. Check them after each run and you will soon develop a feel for when it is time.
    Thanks, Pancho. I am leaning towards the 4074/2000KV route. I have watched a video from youtube and see two different pursuit videos in 4S running in mid 50's speed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBWphnvCvU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LToXX8PjTV8&t=196s
    and yes I do have a temp gun and voltage checking.
    My ESC LVC is set to OFF. but I set my voltage checker to 3.3V to send an alarm-like sound.

If this setup can get me a 5mins playing time I am a happy camper.