Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks Rescue Project

Default ML Boatworks Rescue Project

I have been dreaming about building a boat for sometime now and came across this abandoned project for what seemed to be a decent price. Since it included a ton of hardware, motor, SC, cowling and a servo I decided to pull the trigger. The ad was a circus circus hull, but would love if someone could verify so I could search out some build photos.

I haven’t ever built an rc boat but I did race rc cars in the mid 90s and recently restored a car here at home so this seemed like a doable project. I am likely going to need a fair amount of advice!

I want to order the sheeting from ML and I think the first step here is to finish the bottoms of the sponsons and mix up some epoxy to go over all the joints. Then I think working out the nose will follow.

Looking forward to this project!
    Last edited by Ayles; 06-07-2021 at 01:07 AM.

Cool buy! What brand of motor is that? Is it an out runner?

I wish I knew!

This is all very new to me as are the techniques I need to finish the thing!

I started ordering supplies tonight so I can start epoxying the areas that need to be finished. Then I think the next order of business is figuring out the nose/cockpit. That area appears to be missing some framework. Lots of pics have carbon fiber cloth in this area too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayles View Post
    I wish I knew!

This is all very new to me as are the techniques I need to finish the thing!

I started ordering supplies tonight so I can start epoxying the areas that need to be finished. Then I think the next order of business is figuring out the nose/cockpit. That area appears to be missing some framework. Lots of pics have carbon fiber cloth in this area too.
    Very interesting looking motor - is that fitting on there for water cooling or grease? Looks like a huge motor, any idea of the KV?

Any what ESC/Battery combo you will be going with?

Edit - just saw the photo of the ESC, so thats decided : )

I have no idea on the motor or ESC :) I got everything as it is in a package. I have been wanting to build one of these boats for a while and this came up for sale not too far away and the price seemed good.

The seller said the motor is water cooled and was built by a now defunct local company in Seattle. Outside of that I don't have any more info. So if anyone recognizes it I would love to know more!

The motor is a Littlescreamers watercoole outrunner, they were pretty inefficient but could make decent power. They didn't make many of these big boat motors, they were made as a replacement for a weedeater petrol engine, the standard KV was 650 to spin petrol size props on 10s, though I know they did wind at least 1 differently so I cant be 100% sure yours is 650KV.

The castle Ice 200 HV is a very good ESC, just make sure you don't get it wet.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

This is great!! Thank you for the info!!!! Pieces of the puzzle are coming together!

Check out this 15 page thread on the motor, I didn't read it all but I recommend you do, where I left off there seemed to be issues with this motor and Castle ESCs (though they were an older generation than yours, so may or may not be an issue) and it seemed like the other KV variant was going to have a different pole count.

The 650kv had 6 poles, so you can count the poles (turn the motor through 1 complete revolution counting the number of times it cogs, then divide that number by 3) to find out for sure if it is 650KV.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thanks again! This more great info! I certainly appreciate it!

As I spend more time with what I have it seems more questions arise!

I have been studying build photos and I am now questioning finishing the stern of the boat. Here are some photos as it sits now. Is there any further building that happens on the underside back there?

hydbottom1.jpg

hydbottom2.jpg

hydbottom3.jpg

Hi,

My kit is slightly different, but i think you will need to do a couple of things, on the ends of the sponsons I filled in the gap with a piece of balsa and then put a piece of ply over the very end.

See this pic - hope it makes sense:

I also imagine you will need to file or sand down the excess sheeting to match the line of the sponsons.

Ok, thanks! Hope I understand. Are you saying the back of the boat isn't flat? where the sheeting and frame extend beyond the stern here. This gets filled with a piece of balsa (wedge shaped) on each side?
    hydbottom4.jpg

Then on the bottom, the lip on each side gets sanded smooth all the way up so the bottom is flat? That only seems problematic as when it reaches the forward end of the hull where it starts to dip down.
    hydbottom5.jpg

Better photo of the transition:
    hydrobottom6.jpg

And I could be totally overthinking it!

As a quick note, I did order 5 sheets of plywood and a block of balsa which should be here on Thursday. Then I can start figuring out the remaining 4 pieces of sheeting on the sponsons.

Ok, thanks! Hope I understand. Are you saying the back of the boat isn't flat? where the sheeting and frame extend beyond the stern here. This gets filled with a piece of balsa (wedge shaped) on each side?
    hydbottom4.jpg

Then on the bottom, the lip on each side gets sanded smooth all the way up so the bottom is flat? That only seems problematic as when it reaches the forward end of the hull where it starts to dip down.
    hydbottom5.jpg

Better photo of the transition:
    hydrobottom6.jpg

And I could be totally overthinking it!

As a quick note, I did order 5 sheets of plywood and a block of balsa which should be here on Thursday. Then I can start figuring out the remaining 4 pieces of sheeting on the sponsons.
    Sort of - so in your first photo, those circled areas get filled in with balsa (or just ply could work i guess) and then capped off.

On the second two photos - no dont sand this smooth, the lip is there deliberately to trap air under the hull. I was referring to to top of your hull, it looked like the ply had not been sanded down yet.

Im at work at the moment, but when i get home ill temporarily attach my sponsons and take some photos so you can see what it looks like. Should give you a good idea of how its meant to be finished up. (or at least how i did it : )

Got it! That makes sense. You correct on the top part, that still needs to be trimmed and sanded flush, I just didn't want to get to crazy with that stuff before I knew how much material needs to be removed.

Ok, I did a bunch of searching last night and I see what you are talking about and understand what needs to be done on the rear portion!

I have a nice chunk of Balsa arriving tomorrow that should be enough to make both of the rear pieces and the nose.

Ok, I did a bunch of searching last night and I see what you are talking about and understand what needs to be done on the rear portion!

I have a nice chunk of Balsa arriving tomorrow that should be enough to make both of the rear pieces and the nose.

Awesome, look forward to seeing the outcome

I have been plugging away! Borrowed a scroll saw (never used one before) and attempted to cut my first piece of sponson sheeting. What a disaster!! :)

I headed back down to my workshop made a better template and took another shot at it. Much much better and I am very happy with how it turned out. After some sanding to shape it fits damn near perfect. Now to glue it on...

sponson.jpg

sponson_Sheet1.jpg

I have been plugging away! Borrowed a scroll saw (never used one before) and attempted to cut my first piece of sponson sheeting. What a disaster!! :)

I headed back down to my workshop made a better template and took another shot at it. Much much better and I am very happy with how it turned out. After some sanding to shape it fits damn near perfect. Now to glue it on...

sponson.jpg

sponson_Sheet1.jpg

looking really good, fits nicely. Are you tacking them down with superglue?

For cutting i honestly found a sharp razor blade the easiest, the wood is so thin its easy to cut in half a dozen passes. I dont have a scrollsaw though so that might be easier.

The fit was actually really good, kind of proud of how it turned out considering I have zero woodworking experience, zero boat building and zero model building experience :)

I have been using Tightbond wood glue. After combing threads here it seemed like a good solution. It's actually a hard choice (like a lot of this stuff) as everyone has a different POV on what works and multiple things do work well.

thumbnail_IMG_6991.jpg

Next on my list is the final piece of sheeting on the one side. How does the final sheet on a sponson join up with the framing so its in the correct position to meet up with the top sheeting?

The fit was actually really good, kind of proud of how it turned out considering I have zero woodworking experience, zero boat building and zero model building experience :)

I have been using Tightbond wood glue. After combing threads here it seemed like a good solution. It's actually a hard choice (like a lot of this stuff) as everyone has a different POV on what works and multiple things do work well.

thumbnail_IMG_6991.jpg

Next on my list is the final piece of sheeting on the one side. How does the final sheet on a sponson join up with the framing so its in the correct position to meet up with the top sheeting?

Great job, looks really really neat and coming together really well. Once you sand it down and use some light filler it will really come together.

I know what you mean about different POV and no hard and fast rules - having exactly the same challenge. Its what you get for getting involved in a niche hobby : ). For the final piece of the sheeting - i spent ages trying to work out the best way of doing this - and i dont know if my idea is the best, but i ended up sanding down the edge of the frame to be in line with the shape of the sponson. I then glued the sheet to this frame. I figured the larger gluing surface would provide a stronger joint. Here are some photos of what i mean:

Thanks!!

Ok, your second photo shows exactly what I had been thinking in my mind. I think it will work out just find. Unfortunately I am out of town for a few days and won't be able to cut out any more skins until I get back.

Glued in my second piece and not super exited about how it fits towards the front of the sponson. I may remove it and try again since it doesnt butt up as nicely as the rear portion. If its not a big deal maybe I can just fix that spot with filler.

27EAD472-796D-40C2-94B7-F1ABADEDB503.jpg

Work continues! So far it seems like it takes a few hours just cut and shape one piece of sponson sheeting. This one turned out just ok. There is a 1mm gap at the front but not going to worry about it as I'll just fill it. Otherwise the rest of it came out beautifully. One more to go, which I will start on tonight.

thumbnail_IMG_7017.jpg

Work continues! So far it seems like it takes a few hours just cut and shape one piece of sponson sheeting. This one turned out just ok. There is a 1mm gap at the front but not going to worry about it as I'll just fill it. Otherwise the rest of it came out beautifully. One more to go, which I will start on tonight.

thumbnail_IMG_7017.jpg

Looks great - it was taking me an hour or so per sheet as well, it does get faster though as you go. I wouldnt worry about the gap at the front, a little bit of filler goes a long way. Just threw up photos of my section of the build up on the other tread - ill put up the final ones this afternoon as well so you have a reference if you like.
    Last edited by nocebo; 07-14-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Finished sheeting the sponsons today! Looking pretty good after a little sanding.

A28F2848-7EE1-4986-8FB1-ECDB075F2A24.jpg

As for next moves I am a little unclear what to do. Here is where things are now. I still haven’t figured out the canard or rear wing. Seems like both of those need to be figured out before I start epoxying the inside.

0C0B25D3-FCB2-4C7B-AA39-55C16DB983E7.jpg
    Also need to work out the nose and it seems like I need some reinforcements down the center.

Where do I go next??

I got some Icing delivered to start filling/smoothing some areas on the hull. Hoping to get some advice on what construction needs to happen down the center. Right now it seems a little flimsy and mind is a little boggled when it comes to building the hatches and mounting the fiberglass cowlings and shaping the nose.

I did some emailing and it looks like there aren't any tail wing support kits available and there seems to be long lead times on some of the other fiberglass bits I need (rear wing, canard, turbine tray).

Looks great!, sponsons came out really good.

Cant help on the center unfortunately, im still waiting on the cowling and other fiberglass parts - like you said, long lead times. Maybe start fitting rudder, struts etc while you are waiting on the parts? Thats what I have been up to.

Thanks! I do have the hardware but having trouble finding what kind of measurements I need to take for mounting the rudder and strut.

Do you have any threads that you have found helpful in this regard?

I may try and cut out the skins for the sponsons. They all have a nice curve to them, do you know how that radius is set? Or is more of an artistic thing?

Best thread i have found is this one:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...uild-Miss-Elam

Doesnt have the specific measurements you are after but is basically the same hull. I have just finished mounting up the rudder and I cut the slot for strut last night - ill post it up so you can compare notes. From memory i mounted the strut 51.5mm from the rear of the transom - this allows enough room for the drive dog and a bit of extension of the cable to ensure the prop extends past the transom.

I ended up mounting my rudder on the left hand side rather than the right, from what I have reading there are pros and cons to mounting on the left or right.

I am guessing the radius is hand cut, following pictures of the original boat as closely as possible. I have not seen any plans or formulas for cutting those curves.

That is a great thread!!! Give me a little anxiety to see that skill level.

I looks like his rudder is just lined up with the internal framing. Some great pictures and ideas for the hatch overs and cowl mounting. I was curious about his use of carbon veil and found this product locally that is way more cost effective and probably will work just as well: https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...nytex_x_mat/91 the description sure fits the bill.

I think I will do some filling and maybe take a stab at that knytex cloth in the sponsons, mount the rudder and find a home for the servo. I tried a little mothers polish on the rudder and I think I will probably end polishing the visual external hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast