Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pro Boat Impulse 32" Brushless Deep-V RTR

I just took mine for its first run, and I think I may be having similar leaking issues.

I'm also wondering if any other owners could comment on these imperfections I noticed in the rear of the hull. There's some very slight bulging in the fiberglass along the back corner. I haven't owned many fiberglass models, so I'm not sure if this is par for the course or the sort of defect I should be complaining to Horizon about (it certainly doesn't seem like a functional problem). Here are a couple pictures:
    20210713_191945.jpg
    20210713_191951.jpg
    20210713_192745.jpg

It's hard to tell whether it will get worse or not, but it definitely shouldn't be there. Send Horizon those pics to see what they say. Maybe they'll send you a whole new boat.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinm View Post
    It's hard to tell whether it will get worse or not, but it definitely shouldn't be there. Send Horizon those pics to see what they say. Maybe they'll send you a whole new boat.
    Thanks for the advice. I shot them a support request.

In case anyone's curious, Horizon ordered me a replacement hull after I sent them pictures of the defect.

Also, I was able to fix my leaking by tightening a few of the transom bolts and supplementing some of the sealant along the back panel with super glue.

The boat's a ton of fun once it's working, but it seems like these guys do not have their manufacturing process figured out...

So did you send your boat back with electronics or do you have to gut your boat and reinstall it in the new hull?

Quote Originally Posted by alvinm View Post
    So did you send your boat back with electronics or do you have to gut your boat and reinstall it in the new hull?
    The latter. They offered to take the boat back and "maybe" replace it as an alternative, but I really didn't want to lose the two or so weeks (Horizon is warning of covid-related service delays at the moment).

Yeah, I know it was probably a little bit of a pain getting stuff in and out of this hull, but I would have done the same.

So after weeks of waiting to hear from horizon about my leaking water jacket they are going to send me a new motor with jacket (all I asked them for was some new o rings but they probably cant get just them). Im going to see if i can pull the jacket off of the leaking one and maybe put some silicone grease on the o rings to get it to seal. I really dont want to have to solder on a new motor, the factory solder and shrink wrap looks really nice

In the meantime, just put a bead of silicone along the edge of the jacket. It was amazing how much water used to seep through the jacket before I sealed it. So far so good.

So i received my new motor with jacket from horizon. I then pulled my old jacket off my old motor to see if i could fix the leak. The o rings looked good so i removed them from the jacket and coated them in some motocraft silicone brake caliper grease that i had (good stuff). I then re installed and bench tested with a mouth full of water and some spare water line. Not a drop. So i think its fixed with just a little bit of grease on the o rings. Now i have a brand new spare motor with cooling jacket.

I also learned during this that the motor is not soldered to the esc (thats what i thought it looked like) there is actually connectors that plug into the esc. I haven’t seen that before

Yeah after I epoxied the hell out of the transom, it turns out to be a simple leak from the water jacket. I've spent so much time trying to get my BJ 42 to work that I haven't given this boat enough love, but that's gonna change.

I like love the lines of the hull.

Some observations....wonder why the stinger is SO for offset. Through hull water pick up? Odd for a production boat.

Someone mentioned our local hobby may have one. I'll have to swing by there.
    Noisy person

My Ms. Geico 36 has two through hull pick-ups. It seems like you get way for more water through the esc and motor jacket compared to the rudder pick-up.

I know this is going to sound like a "strange" question to some...but, has anyone run the boat on 4S? Then reason I'm asking is, for the P-Limited & P-open classes, NAMBA limits boats to 4S, which can be two 2S packs in-series, or a single 4S pack, or two 4S packs in-parallel.

Theoretically, this boat *should* be able to compete in NAMBA-sanctioned races, under P-Limited or P-open, depending on the motor...but, I am curious as to whether, or not, this boat could actually BE competitive. I'm guessing that the hull probably weighs too much to make this competitive in the P-Limited class (if the motor already is, or were replaced with, a 3660, or shorter)...but, if a longer 36mm can, or a 40mm can, were used, could it actually be a competitive P-open mono?

Speaking of the motor, can anyone who already has the Impulse 32 confirm what the motor's actual specs are (diameter, length, and kv), as there is no consistency in the info on the Horizon Hobby website & the manual. Some sections state 3682, while others mention 3680. As for what the kv is, both 1900kv & 2000kv are mentioned.

So i had perfect conditions today and the boat was running really well. Was making full throttle 6s passes but i think I ended up hitting thermal protection. The boat cut back on the power and then i let it sit for 30 seconds in the water without shutting it off and then i had full power again.

Also after fixing my leaking water jacket the boat was bone dry after the run

I'm surprised it shut down, unless you had it pegged the whole time and doing donuts or something. I have a pair of 60c batteries that for some reason can't handle the juice and causes the boat to go into thermal. Have you tried with other batteries?

I am running zeee 4500mah 3s 50c batteries. I havent had Any problems with these zeee batteries i probably own at least 20 of them but with this new proboat 160a esc maybe its too much for them. I have the same esc in my blackjack 42 8s but i am running zeee 4s 9000mah 100c. All i have is some turigy 60-120c batteries but it will probably be a long time before I get to run them.

I am working on one of these and noticed the stinger does not go through the center of the transom. Its off set to starboard. It appears they did this to allow the ESC/receiver rack to have room. To fit that in, the Motor rack appears to have to be offest to starboard. Its a Normal rotation motor/prop so does this offest some kind of torque steer? or is it just a cheap hobby grade overlook by Proboat? I havent run the boat yet so I dont know if there is any kind of an issue due this offest.

I have run the boat few times and have not noticed any problems due to the offset

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless1 View Post
    I am working on one of these and noticed the stinger does not go through the center of the transom. Its off set to starboard. It appears they did this to allow the ESC/receiver rack to have room. To fit that in, the Motor rack appears to have to be offest to starboard. Its a Normal rotation motor/prop so does this offest some kind of torque steer? or is it just a cheap hobby grade overlook by Proboat? I havent run the boat yet so I dont know if there is any kind of an issue due this offest.
    Offsetting the stuffing tube to the right is not an uncommon practice with a CCW spinning prop on a V-bottom. It can help alleviate torque roll
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I know this is going to sound like a "strange" question to some...but, has anyone run the boat on 4S? Then reason I'm asking is, for the P-Limited & P-open classes, NAMBA limits boats to 4S, which can be two 2S packs in-series, or a single 4S pack, or two 4S packs in-parallel.

Theoretically, this boat *should* be able to compete in NAMBA-sanctioned races, under P-Limited or P-open, depending on the motor...but, I am curious as to whether, or not, this boat could actually BE competitive. I'm guessing that the hull probably weighs too much to make this competitive in the P-Limited class (if the motor already is, or were replaced with, a 3660, or shorter)...but, if a longer 36mm can, or a 40mm can, were used, could it actually be a competitive P-open mono?

Speaking of the motor, can anyone who already has the Impulse 32 confirm what the motor's actual specs are (diameter, length, and kv), as there is no consistency in the info on the Horizon Hobby website & the manual. Some sections state 3682, while others mention 3680. As for what the kv is, both 1900kv & 2000kv are mentioned.
    I had same question. So I picked one up yesterday and swapped out motor and esc with proboat 3660 2000 kv and castle X8s (for data logging, then a suitable esc for the amp draw I settle on).

The stock motor is a 2000kv 3682 (measured with calipers).

I’ll be testing it tomorrow as a plim option. If that doesn?t work, i’ll drop in a suitable p open motor.

I do suspect I will be blueprinting the bottom - all those trays and mounts have distorted the flatness.
    I also raised the trim tabs to the highest they go to avoid unwanted drag.
    I will be adding a dual intake rudder and capping off the through hull intake.
    And using a suitable 4s prop.
    I can summarize race prep procedure if there is interest.
    J
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    I can summarize race prep procedure if there is interest.
    J
    Yes, I am interested in metrics. Have a few of these I work on so having others identify issues/fixes will be beneficial. Plus, Not sure what a 4s prop is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless1 View Post
    Yes, I am interested in metrics. Have a few of these I work on so having others identify issues/fixes will be beneficial. Plus, Not sure what a 4s prop is.
    Will do.
    I too am unsure what prop this guy will like on 4s.
    Testing today, will report back.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I don’t know what is the deal yet, but this thing will do nothing but hop and bounce like a jack rabbit on a bed of coals!
    I tried moving batteries as far forward as possible(pair of 4s in series), and bending strut all the way down..

so the issue is either strut is too low, cog still too far back, bulge at the back of the bottom or a combination of all three.
    I’ll keep trouble shooting, but quite discouraging that an “RTR” needs so much work..

oh and this one fills up with water like others reported, will be getting that stock motor cooler as far from this boat as possible!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by jhurlbert View Post
    I have contacted horizon about the leaking cooling jacket and cracked prop. We will see what they say
    Hey try backing off the screws on the bracket that holds the jacket, I think the pressure and the vibration pinches the rubber seals. Some owners used some grease to stop the leak.
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2

Quote Originally Posted by jhurlbert View Post
    I have contacted horizon about the leaking cooling jacket and cracked prop. We will see what they say
    Hey try backing off the screws on the bracket that holds the jacket, I think the pressure and the vibration pinches the rubber seals. Some owners used some grease to stop the leak.i did the same with my impulse
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2

Anyone with the Pro Boat Impulse 32 run on 4s either in stock configuration or otherwise? I just picked up the Impulse 32 from OSE as the hull and hardware only so I'm trying to decide what motor. I can get the stock 3682 2000KV or the same size from SSS in different KV ratings. 2000KV on 6s seems crazy high RPMs to me for a sport/fun boat. My 37" fiberglass Razor with a 4082 1250KV motor does 50 to 55mph on 6s and uses up practically the entire lake! The Impulse is only slightly smaller and about the same weight so if I run 6s, to me, it's way to much. Maybe on 4s a 2000KV motor in this boat would be fine.
    I'm thinking if I stick with the 36mm dia. motor, a 3682 or 3660 in the 1200 to 1600KV range would be better for running 6s. Any thoughts?
    I would use the OSE 150A ESC. I'm not sure I'd stick with the stock prop (41mm x 1.7 pitch ratio I think), maybe go to an Octura x442 to get better low end "grip"
    Info and pictures about our Invincible Razor build, Lindberg PT Boats; Racing Runabout; Pro Boat Stealthwake and more! Plus videos of our boats including upgrades, repairs, etc.

hi siesielka you can use a sss 3682 v2 1650kv should be the perfect choice ,this motor pack a serous punch (2000w continuous )so the flex shaft must be a HD type ,with good setup the boat fly's you need maybe some different props abc works very good

Quote Originally Posted by koen View Post
    you can use a sss 3682 v2 1650kv should be the perfect choice
    A buddy of mine got the same hull and hardware deal from OSE and asked Steven V. at OSE what motor would be a good option for his Impulse 32. He recommended the exact same motor! So far, it's sounding like the easiest/best option is to just go with the 3682 since it's the same size as stock. And the 1650kv provides a much more realistic RPM, especially for the lake I'll be running on.
    Info and pictures about our Invincible Razor build, Lindberg PT Boats; Racing Runabout; Pro Boat Stealthwake and more! Plus videos of our boats including upgrades, repairs, etc.

We ran one of these Saturday. Has potential but at the end of the straight gets weird. We put a straight edge on the bottom. Ours was a disaster. Fixable but yikes. That's where the bobble was coming from on the one we saw. It appears that when the glued in the rails they created a nasty hook. At least on this one. Again, fixable.
    Noisy person

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast