Thread: Traxxas blast

Default Traxxas blast

Has any one purchased and upgraded a traxxas blast? I am looking to make mine go faster and i am new to the rc boat world

I made it brushless and put a different prop on but i can honestly say i probably didn't get the right prop but it seems to me as if the propeller is spinning too fast and just blowing bubbles under water.

I recently learned the problem i am describing is cavitation. My boat does not seem to ever stop doing it. Any info on ways to combat this would be most appreciated.

I have found that adjusting the trim on the mono turn rudder to run deeper in the water had stopped this, however too much trim can add too much stress on the mtr bearings leading to too much wear and stress also on the u joint yolk pins and the u joint will eventually fail

Quote Originally Posted by Florida_Blast1984 View Post
    I have found that adjusting the trim on the mono turn rudder to run deeper in the water had stopped this, however too much trim can add too much stress on the mtr bearings leading to too much wear and stress also on the u joint yolk pins and the u joint will eventually fail
    I tried that too. Its still not quick, honestly i think i made it slower than stock somehow. Im Probably just gonna put it all back to stock and sell it for some change. I dont know what setup you are running (different electronics, or prop) but i found some success in increasing speed by extending the prop further from the hull. Maybe that info can help you as well

Yeah ive sinced changed everything out on this boat to a brushless setup. When i changed my prop out to the 1/8 inch fiberglass filled plastic 35mm and used the 3mm lock nut to hold it on and a metal universal joint 4mm to 4mm it made a world of difference ose sells the prop and shaft it will help so much i promise i was frustrated about to sell the boat too until i found parts at ose lol, definitely give it a shot before u sell.

Hi!
    I am pretty new here, but want to share my work.

I found a Traxxas Blast on the shore of a lake nearby - that?s how i got into "rc-boat-business". First i bought a matching remote. The boat itself worked fine, but the prev. owner made a cut in the upper hull to fit a bigger battery (+ 1 cell, 8.6V). This made the boat taking water on waves or rough manuvers. Corrected that with a 3d-printed part (glued in with sikaflex), now that issue is solved.
    Next thing happend, that the motor went off for some reason. So i changed it to a 12T 550. Therefore i had to move the complete tech-board inside the boat about 5mm backwards. Well, this motor really rocks it - especially with the bigger battery.
    As it was mentioned here before, the prop took a lot of air. So i designed an stackable addon for the outboard-section. Kind of a channel to create a jetstream. Tried it in the bathtub and it pushes like hell.
    Speed test not made jet, may be today on the lake...
    Greetz,
    Andy

Traxxas Blast Jet.jpg

Did you take any pictures of this mod attached? And if you would be willing to share the file id be interested in trying it aswell

Quote Originally Posted by andrewippy@aol.com View Post
    Did you take any pictures of this mod attached? And if you would be willing to share the file id be interested in trying it aswell
    Will try to make some picts/videos today.

Funny story: First run i did a big circle on the lake - everything worked fine. Then i handed the remote over to my daughter. She drove it about 15ft and then the motor gave up for no reason. Then i changed to the 12T 550 and gave it another try.
    Did a big circle on the lake - everthing worked fine. Then i handed the remote over to my daughter (no *!***!***!***!**!!!). She drove it somelike 30ft and then the throttle went to max, got stuck and the boat "kissed" the shore...no major damage except her ego...
    Turned out, the speed control went off this time.

Now i changed that to an "XL5 esc" and after a long (2x >20 Minutes) testrun yesterday all worked fine. The the propeller is still dragging a bit air. So i extended the upper shield on my construction and right now it´s been printed. Hopefully this afternoon there will be another try :-)

Then i will upload some footage and the files.

Did my testrun yesterday and simply forgot to shoot a video. Had a little issue again with getting air into the stream, especially on hard turns. I constructed a little addon, wich i will print & test today to solve that.

But here are some picts of the project:

I got rid of the "flashy" decor, added some cool paint and a mount for my cam (no gopro, because thats too heavy)
    IMG_0596.jpg

The jet is slided on the original streering-unit with on changes (except opening up the hole for the grey lock-pin)
    IMG_0598.jpg

The collector for the engine-coolant is near the end of the jet. So the force of waterpressure creates a nice stream.
    IMG_0600.jpg

Here the cut-view.
    cut_jet.jpg

Here is the installed XL5/550. Needed to cut one of the mount of XL5 to fit.
    IMG_0601.jpg

Here are the videos from todays tryout:

wow, I love that YouTube clip. You set the shooting position very well. Its speed is too fast.