Thread: SR80 pro mod - issues

Default SR80 pro mod - issues

Hi all

I have an SR80 pro that I was hoping to speed up just a hair and also convert to 3/16 prop from its stock 4mm.

Stock motor (1750 KV outrunner) was replaced with a leopard 3660 2050 KV inrunner. The ESC was replaced with a raider 150amp. Battery was kept at 4s. Speedmaster 21 strut replaced the stock. The stock prop was a 40mm unknown pitch, which I replaced with a graupner 42mm 1.4p. Everything is stock. The maiden was rough...heavy accel would pop it out of the water and flip it. Easy accel was ok but I had trouble with it tracking straight. Any hard accel or throttle above 75% and the think would veer one way or another, flip or barrel roll. I tried level strut and even negative angle strut. I added tons of trim tab. Nothing helped. The boat used to be fantastic and I was hoping to just speed it up some. A guy on YouTube has these boats on 6s with with 2200+ KV motors on similar props, but he swears up and down I need to upgrade the turn fins. I can do that..but I?m thinking the prop is too large...my ft011 is 4s and like 2400 KV motor and it?s prop is tiny - and the boat isn?t that much smaller than the SR80. What are symptoms of inadequate turn fins or prop too large?

I am not familiar with an SR80. Any chance of a pic of the hull, maybe a pic of the strut setup.
    A lot of views here and I’d love to see if I can help.

Shawn

Sorry for the late reply guys. I’ll post some pics. But I had the strut level at first. Then silly negative with lots of trim tab - no help.

3F0B526C-EA10-4D1F-BB9E-14C8202F6FCE.jpgEB40FC35-B603-48A7-8600-CE611435A249.jpg0517B005-3FFB-42EE-ACA3-11BF42C9EA0A.jpg

I have 2 vector 70's...... same hull just a little smaller..... those hulls don't like bigger props...... You're probably overpowering that hull also with that setup...hence your handling issues....

Ok. My plan was to go back to stock prop and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Apbling View Post
    Ok. My plan was to go back to stock prop and go from there.
    You can experiment with pitch perhaps in a stock size prop or smaller if you pitch up.

I went back to the stock prop (40mm, unknown pitch) from the gaupner 42mm 1.4p. WORLD of difference. Boat is again on rails. I can hammer the throttle and it doesn't misbehave like before. Is it safe to say that the stock prop is likely a higher pitch prop than 1.4, giving me less thrust out of the hole but maybe a higher top speed?

That being said - I'd like to try some different props, but I really don't have the budget to buy a bunch of metallic props just to test with. Is there a source out there other than OSE and gaupner that I can get different pitched carbon fiber (like gaupner) props to test with? Alot of the plastic ones I see won't fit the 3/16" shaft, or aren't rated for my RPM's.