Thread: Converting on Outboard Tunnel to FE.

Default Converting on Outboard Tunnel to FE.

I have seen a lot of questions like this so I will start with my ideas and experience. Hope any and all will join in and post pics as no one has all the answers.

First after buying an adapter for your lower how do you mount electronics. You can leave it all exposed under the cowl. Not a good idea.
    Build a waterproof (wood box) that fits under the cowl. Sometimes space is very limited for batteries ect.
    t5.jpg

Permanently attach the cowl and cut an access hatch to seal with tape.
    t3.jpgt2.jpg
    thumbnail (11).jpg
    sh2.jpg

For steering your going to need a 180oz plus torque servo
    Now you have to choose locations. Servo in the front or rear? I have done both with success. Leaves room to move batteries fore and aft to trim the ride. I prefer the ESC as far back near the transom as you have to connect 3 motor wires.

Now for particular motor and esc it depends on your boat (size) and your level of expected performance.
    In general for hulls under 32" I think a 2000watt or less motor. 3650 to 4074mm motors. Up to a 40" hull 40mm motors 74-92mm length.
    4S kv's 1600-2200
    6S kvs 1100-1700
    I will post more on waterproofing later. Again welcome participation and photo's
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Thanks Mic I'm sure this will help many, including myself who is making a tunnel hull at the moment.

Where would you say is the best place to start for mounting the outboard? I had read to start have the centreline of the prop in line with the bottom of the sponsons, and allow adjustment both up and down from that position. Also where is a good COG position?

Quote Originally Posted by hughb View Post
    Thanks Mic I'm sure this will help many, including myself who is making a tunnel hull at the moment.

Where would you say is the best place to start for mounting the outboard? I had read to start have the centreline of the prop in line with the bottom of the sponsons, and allow adjustment both up and down from that position. Also where is a good COG position?
    You have it right on centerline then up or down plus trim in and out. As for CG I have set up dozens of tunnels Nitro, gas and FE. Set multiple world records and I don't know the CG on any boat in my shop. Every boat, prop and lower are different. FE is easier to find the sweet spot as moving a battery slightly fore and aft affects a large weight change percentage. Actual CG effect changes with trim angle of the lower and prop characteristics that's why I do not use it. Maybe and after 50 + boats in 40 years I just have a good sense of windage. Play with weight changes and learn to recognize how it affects ride and cornering. The more you try the more you learn.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Some other examples. Both setups have pros and cons. The radio box con. not a lot of room to work or make adjustments battery options,COG, radio location,servo location. Pros. Less chance of water intrusion. Easy to tape and close. The attached canopy. Pros. Lots of room to allow for more variations of different configurations. Con. sealing the cowl on, with a tight tape joint.
    Just my thoughts for what it's worth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by IGGY_357 View Post
    Some other examples. Both setups have pros and cons. The radio box con. not a lot of room to work or make adjustments battery options,COG, radio location,servo location. Pros. Less chance of water intrusion. Easy to tape and close. The attached canopy. Pros. Lots of room to allow for more variations of different configurations. Con. sealing the cowl on, with a tight tape joint.
    Just my thoughts for what it's worth.
    Who owns that red and white Vision 40 now? Still Jeff?

That was only hell of a fast boat to race/drive!!

Cheers
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Flynn View Post
    Who owns that red and white Vision 40 now? Still Jeff?

That was only hell of a fast boat to race/drive!!

Cheers
    Kris
    It belongs to Ken Barker. Still a fast boat!