Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Proboat release new Blackjack 42" catamaran

Quote Originally Posted by UpliFT-RC View Post
    Well, I am heading down the lake and doing a lot of testing with some RC weights that I got from my LHS. They are 1/2oz sticky adhesive weights that i can stuff up front under the stroyafoam.
    I am going to start out with 1 strip which equals 1oz and see if that will help keep the boat from coming up on me on 8s. Plus, I lowered my strut a bit so the boat of the boat will stay down more.
    Okay, I'm a little confused. You said you had the problem solved by stuffing 2 200 gram weights (14 oz) under the styrofoam but now your starting over with 1oz of sticky weight?

FWIW I drilled a 1/2 hole through the styrofoam towards the nose of the sponson and inserted 7 oz of weight (3.5 on each side) roughly 4" before the tip of the boat. It does help a great deal if the boat has a smooth run, otherwise it almost seems to induce more bounce if it hits any ripples or wake leading me to believe Panther6834 definately has the hull characteristic figured out. I really need to find a better location as my river area is less than ideal to run full throttle without fear of flipping or worse between the boat traffic, current, floating debri and jumping Sturgeons which I completely forgot about.

Because its raining here and there is NO chance of running in the river on the weekend anyway I've done a bunch of homework and came up with a few changes to test on my next outing. I read up on balancing and as luck would have it my original weight placement was right at 33% . I moved the weight a little farther forward and now have a balance point of almost exactly 35%, which is about max from what I'm able to determine. Next I raised the drive strut where the bottom of the strut is about 1/16 above the bottom of the sponson. One thing I seem to have issues with is a little excess water in the hull so I took some shrink tube and sealed the strut where the stuffing tube enters it so I hope that solves that problem. Soon as I get a chance to wet the boat again I'll post my results. I caught a youtube video of someone running an ABC 1817 and the boat seemed very well behaved so I have one of those on the way and see how it does once I get all the other bugs ironed out as best as I can.

took my boat out today for the first time today, water was really choppy so there was no chance of going full throttle but i have to say the boat handled it way better than i expected. flipped it once because i got a little to comfortable. overall i’m really happy with the purchase, there are a few small things that could be improved upon but that’s the nature of rtr rc’s. i know there’s a few people on the fence about getting one but if it can handle rough water and a goose strike i’d say it’s a pretty solid boat. got a couple photos jumping out of the water. EBBE9208-3AB0-4A8A-9D0F-EFC071A966F5.jpg

AE1B72F6-D2A4-42C2-974E-565094D338ED.jpg
    Hit something in the water. Bummer

Well thats a bummer. I've been thinking of getting a replacement as a "just in case" if not for anything else other than to eliminate down time while waiting on replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by ACKopter View Post
    Okay, I'm a little confused. You said you had the problem solved by stuffing 2 200 gram weights (14 oz) under the styrofoam but now your starting over with 1oz of sticky weight?

FWIW I drilled a 1/2 hole through the styrofoam towards the nose of the sponson and inserted 7 oz of weight (3.5 on each side) roughly 4" before the tip of the boat. It does help a great deal if the boat has a smooth run, otherwise it almost seems to induce more bounce if it hits any ripples or wake leading me to believe Panther6834 definately has the hull characteristic figured out. I really need to find a better location as my river area is less than ideal to run full throttle without fear of flipping or worse between the boat traffic, current, floating debri and jumping Sturgeons which I completely forgot about.
    What a coincidence, I did the same except I used a super long drill bit and made a hole through the styrofoam reaching each tip. I poured 4 oz's of epoxy on each side. It's funny how the tips are now rock hard. I have a bunch of weight strips in front of the esc that I'll remove for this testing, along with changing strut depths. Hopefully I can get more consistent flat runs.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinm View Post
    What a coincidence, I did the same except I used a super long drill bit and made a hole through the styrofoam reaching each tip. I poured 4 oz's of epoxy on each side. It's funny how the tips are now rock hard. I have a bunch of weight strips in front of the esc that I'll remove for this testing, along with changing strut depths. Hopefully I can get more consistent flat runs.
    Very similar indeed and I too used a super long drill bit. . From your description I think the only difference is what we actually used for the weight. I opted for a 5/8 bolt with the head cut off and I made a slot in the end so I can literally screw or unscrew the bolt and it will change the bolts position (and boat CG) depending on how far towards or away the weight is from the tip of the sponson. Keep us posted as to your test results and I'll do the same.
    I'm all set to go but it is raining pretty hard at the moment so I'm stuck here waiting out the weather.

Quick question about the epoxy.

Because I’m useing pool noodles stuffed around to make the front back stiff (included weighs at front), how well epoxy with fiberglass fabric stays in this plastic matherial?

I'm thinking it should bond to the plastic with no issues.

For those of you who had a chance to try the BJ 42 - is it worth the $600?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1979 View Post
    As a first boat, for me the answer is yes. I have flown planes for the bulk of my R/C experience and I am really enjoying myself. I wish I had easier access to a better area to run the boat though. You would think that living within a half mile of two rivers and not far from a town called Lake City it would'nt be too tuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1979 View Post
    100 % ITS AN awesome boat!!
    Check out my first run with it on 8s.
    https://youtu.be/2vpdUOZsyss
    BJ42'' / Miss Geico 36'' / TFL Hydro 35'' / Retrieval boat 30'' Tug
    Make sure you check out my Youtube channel -----> shorturl.at/ntFQ7

Quote Originally Posted by UpliFT-RC View Post
    Well, I am heading down the lake and doing a lot of testing with some RC weights that I got from my LHS. They are 1/2oz sticky adhesive weights that i can stuff up front under the stroyafoam.
    I am going to start out with 1 strip which equals 1oz and see if that will help keep the boat from coming up on me on 8s. Plus, I lowered my strut a bit so the boat of the boat will stay down more.
    What did you finally settle on for weight amount and placement?

Its Thursday already and I still have not had a chance to get mine wet again, maybe this afternnoon but there is still plenty of rain in my area so it's iffy at best.

The 6110 does have a gyro built into the receiver. To shut it off you need to bind the radio in non AVC. Power on the RX and press the bind button 3 times and hold it down until it starts blinking. Then hold bind button on the TX. This will disable the AVC. This RX was used to provide long range telemetry versus the SR315 receiver. Here is a link to the manual:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dema...-Manual-EN.pdf

What affect will disabling the AVC do to the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by alvinm View Post
    What affect will disabling the AVC do to the boat?
    AVC is disabled out of the box. I have heard of a few instances that this was enabled, which it should not be. The AVC "ON" will limit a few factors of the boat including the throttle response and the overall steering. This will make the boat wonder a bit, and will also reduce the throttle as the wonder progresses.

Default Maiden run w/ bj42

Check out MY 1ST RUN WITH MY BJ42''
    https://youtu.be/2vpdUOZsyss

Pls upload also your progress runs 🙏👍🏼

i’ve got a couple good runs out of my boat so far. i’m for sure going to get a better water outlet that locks in place. i noticed while putting the batteries in it’s easy to pop the water line off and have it fall in the boat without noticing. will also get a traxxas style receiver box. my factory receiver box was completely full of water after a run which isn’t a super big deal since the receiver is water proof but i run in salt water and it corrodes the connections super fast. i put a little too much faith in the factory box and didn’t grease and of the connections in there. not sure what you other salt water guys use but on my gasser boats i spray connections with cheetah grease. a little pricey but stays in place and cleans up easily.

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    I posted this back on post 29.

The cooling tube is 6mm outside and 1/8 inside. More cooling can't hurt but the stock system doesn't overheat at all, not even close to overheating. I would use this tube here https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ng-1%2F4-clear
    I am running the OSE Extra large tubing thats 8 mm Outside Diameter with a 4 mm Inside Diameter vs using the 6mm outside tubing.
    I already INSTALLED 1 grommet and just need to install my 2nd one AND MY WATER OUTLET and then i CAN start running my water lines...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UpliFT-RC; 06-26-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Well as what I can say is that drive it.. test your temps, drive it again.. test temps etc.

Optimal would be speed and stable enough to your needs with cool enough electronics stamped by the manufacture 😎👋🏼 How easy life can be

This not meant to be ironic for sure. I?m just bored and over energetic at my work trip to test this thing out 🕺🏼

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this on 6s with bigger props? From what I have read the motor is 1350 kv so on a 50-52mm prop should give reasonable speed on 6s. I'm asking as I am contemplating buying one. Also would the extra weight a pair of 6s batts in parallel and a bigger prop with more lift settle some of the handling problems? Can anyone test this out?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quick update.
    Back on track to do some Tests.
    Too bad i did not have time to solder my 8s setup. 6s still.

200g nose with strut lowest point negative angle.

Flies nice over water just about to start rising nose for flip but no. Very good

300g at nose. No even a sign to blow over.

Prop 45mm 1.4

Videos coming soon

Speed. No idea due battery empty in my gps.

Mine is well behaved at slower speeds but I cant mange anything more than a very brief WOT as this thing is literally flying across the water and constantly ready to blow over. I finally did mange to flip it. Went in backwards and did a full submarine which ripped both batts loose and rendered the boat dead in the water. It was a rather violent crash but at least I got to do a real live rescue drill which went reasonably well. Everything checked out okay but I'll be making some other minor adjustments before my next outing. Better battery restraint for one and going to mess with the strut angle a little as well. When I do go WOT the boat is riding very nose high which appears to be compounding the blow over issue, if I can get it running flat to start with then I hope it would really help the situation.

If things continue like they are now I'll have to consider more drastic measures to get things under control.

6 batteries testing behind and I?ve gone to conclusions as following:

Even a little Choppy water can easily hide your real ridequality. Day run with minor waves and this lady was working just well. Nose Stick on water and no porpoising at all( 260g at nose)

Same situation 1h later and porpoising was back.

More tuning with angels and weights. Got it to run ok with 360g at nose. Had to rise slightly prop angle.

Testing and hope to get the videos tomorrow

Hello,

it is not a good idea to put mass far away from the CoG, it can keep the nose down, but will not stop the porpoising and can increase it due to polar inertia. You should put larger capacity, heavier batteries. If you have no porpoising with choppy water, it means that air is not trapped by the tunnel , but can escape from the sides. It can be caused also by the last surface touching the water, I mean the last "pad", if it is not flat at the rear, to check that, put a ruler on this last surface and see if its is flat longitudinally, if not , you will have to add material that sticks on polycarbonate. If none of these tricks are working, think of an air dam... In my opinion, this boat is too light for these speeds.

Last edited by JonMar; 07-03-2021 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Info add

Quote Originally Posted by Brushman View Post
    Hello,

it is not a good idea to put mass far away from the CoG, it can keep the nose down, but will not stop the porpoising and can increase it due to polar inertia. You should put larger capacity, heavier batteries. If you have no porpoising with choppy water, it means that air is not trapped by the tunnel , but can escape from the sides. It can be caused also by the last surface touching the water, I mean the last "pad", if it is not flat at the rear, to check that, put a ruler on this last surface and see if its is flat longitudinally, if not , you will have to add material that sticks on polycarbonate. If none of these tricks are working, think of an air dam... In my opinion, this boat is too light for these speeds.
    Thanks. This just fun fun and Im not take it too Serious. Not hunting the top speed. Just good handling and easy quick fun.

Bottom is straight and level. Latest video is done with prop strut level with bonttons. Angle down wards maximum mecanically
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just came and hit 4 set of batteries with a lot different setups.
    too bad I have this 4514 prop only with my and 6s

I have found my peace. 8s next
    ��

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast