Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Proboat release new Blackjack 42" catamaran

Quote Originally Posted by alvinm View Post
    Could be, I have a couple of Spektrum equipped cars with gyros but adjustments are made on the radio.
    Adjustments are done from the Tx...but, the 'gyro' (called 'AVC' by Spektrum) is built their RCs.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Default Black Jack 42 / Day 2 of testing

Took her out yesterday for the Maiden run but only took it out on 6s, since I did not have a recovery boat or a Kayak with me at the lake. All in all in ran very nice on 6s - i did not have any Heat issues or any other issues with the front popping up but then I again I was on 6s.. Today, I will be trying out my new pair of 4s - HRB 6000maH 14.2v 50c lipos and really see what this boat has with everything bone stock. Before I start dialing my boat in and switch over to a new Dasboata Prop.. (TIP) I have been hearing a lot of people says that they have having problems w/ the front end popping up when they hit the throttle when running on 8s. How I fixed that problem was I simply added an extra pool noodle towards the front of the boat and made sure that it a tight fit from side to side so I can add about 4 ounces of weight and I have it stuffed in my pool noodle and it seems to keeps the front end down for me quite well..

I will be recording my boat session today so it will be available for your review on my Youtube channel.
    Make sure you click the subscribe button since i will be posting more videos on different Dashboata props that Chris Hoffman made for my Sonicwake36 that i will be testing out..
    My PB w/ my Sonicwake36 was 65mph and that was when I was running the the Sonice3prop from Dasboata...It's going to be very interesting to see what type of Top End speed I can get with my BJ42 running on 8s with the Supersonic3 prop..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UpliFT-RC; 06-13-2021 at 02:57 PM.
    BJ42'' / Miss Geico 36'' / TFL Hydro 35'' / Retrieval boat 30'' Tug
    Make sure you check out my Youtube channel -----> shorturl.at/ntFQ7

Quote Originally Posted by UpliFT-RC View Post
    How you fix that issues is I simply just added 2 200 gram weights and stuffed them up under my styrofoam that's in the front of the boat and it seems to keeps the front end down for me quite well..

I will be recording my boat session today so it will be available for your review on my Youtube channel.
    Wow, thats nearly a full pound of extra weight! Hopefully some carefull set-up will be able to tune the bounce out. I look forward to seeing your youtube vid.

FYI whoever asked about the rudder slop, yes mine has it as well. Noticed it as soon as I took it out of the box and thought it was odd but apparently it is normal.

Took her out yesterday for the Maiden run but only took it out on 6s, since I did not have a recovery boat or a Kayak with me at the lake. All in all in ran very nice on 6s - i did not have any Heat issues or any other issues with the front popping up but then I again I was on 6s.. Today, I will be trying out my new pair of 4s - HRB 6000maH 14.2v 50c lipos and really see what this boat has with everything bone stock. Before I start dialing my boat in and switch over to a new Dasboata Prop.. (TIP) I have been hearing a lot of people says that they have having problems w/ the front end popping up when they hit the throttle when running on 8s. How I fixed that problems was I simply added an extra pool noodle towards the front of the boat so it a tight fit from side to side and I added 2 200 gram weights and stuffed them in my pool noodle and it seems to keeps the front end down for me quite well..

Make sure you click the subscribe button since i will be posting more videos on different Dashboata props that Chris Hoffman made for my Sonicwake36 that i will be testing out..
    My PB w/ my Sonicwake36 was 65mph and that was when I was running the the Sonice3prop from Dasboata...It's going to be very interesting to see what type of Top End speed I can get with my BJ42 running on 8s with the Supersonic3 prop..
    Can't wait to see your vid. Will be interesting to see how your added weight affects the boat.

Default ProBoat Blackjack 42'' 8s (High Performance Speed Boat) Maiden Run

Here was my Maiden run yesterday without any weights and 100 % stock..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vpdUOZsyss
    Last edited by UpliFT-RC; 06-15-2021 at 06:20 AM.

Here was my Maiden run yesterday without any weights in it and 100 % stock.
    Looks good...but, as expected, "hopping like a kangaroo" at full throttle. It's looking more & more like ProBoat/Horizon Hobby 'failed' on this one. I'm sure all (or, at least, almost all) BJ42 owners will figure out ways of making 'adjustments' to make her stable...but, honestly, a boat just out of the box should NOT need so many 'adjustments' just to be able to run it. This would be like buying a BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc, and finding out you have to keep it below 55mph, or the car will become unstable.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is due to having used Lexan for the hull. Even though it's has all that bracing, is probably still not enough to completely keep the hull from flexing...and, if such is the case, the hull is probably flexing every time the boat hops. Sorry, Horizon Hobby, but this is NOT acceptable.

Some minor adjustments and this baby will be flying like a missle over the water.

I have run this boat twice and there was some hop not crazy. You cant hold full throttle at almost top speed for more than 1.5sec. I was having blow over issues. I think i will try putting the strut down some from where it was out of the box i am also running 2 zeee 4s 9000mah 100c batteries and they have some weight to them.

Just installed rubberized battery straps hope that helps my batteries came loose after a couple flips

Quote Originally Posted by jhurlbert View Post
    I have run this boat twice and there was some hop not crazy. You cant hold full throttle at almost top speed for more than 1.5sec. I was having blow over issues. I think i will try putting the strut down some from where it was out of the box i am also running 2 zeee 4s 9000mah 100c batteries and they have some weight to them.

Just installed rubberized battery straps hope that helps my batteries came loose after a couple flips
    How can you say "there was some hop not crazy", and then follow that up by admitting "You cant hold full throttle at almost top speed for more than 1.5sec"? If there was no problem, you should be able to hold full throttle continuously.

Ok so i take it back then i guess it hops. I just thought it wasn?t as bad as some were making it out to be.

And im still a newb i have only been boating for two years when i get a chance.

But ya compared to my sonicwake and miss gieco it hops
    Last edited by jhurlbert; 06-14-2021 at 08:43 PM.

I have a blackjack 42, 2weeks now. I hit a goose @50 mph here is what happened, good didn't make it20210615_003142.jpg20210615_003142.jpg

IM also having trouble with the Strut bushing less than 6 sets of packs and bushing is wallowing out. Plenty of grease after each set of packs.

Quote Originally Posted by 30notsnosmoke View Post
    I have a blackjack 42, 2weeks now. I hit a goose @50 mph here is what happened, good didn't make it20210615_003142.jpg20210615_003142.jpg

IM also having trouble with the Strut bushing less than 6 sets of packs and bushing is wallowing out. Plenty of grease after each set of packs.
    What happen did you goose it and it flipped over and damaged the Hull?
    See I am going to start off with around 100 grams of weight towards the front of my boat and stuff it up under the styrofoam and see if that will keep the front end down.
    I will be making another video this weekend and hopefully by adding a some weight towards the front that it will fix the hopping problem..

What happen did you goose it and it flipped over and damaged the Hull?
    No...I think he, literally, meant he hit a goose - as in, be killed a bird with his boat (unintentionally...at least, I'd hope it wasn't intentional).

Yes I accidentally killed a goose with the 42. A dog run a small flock of geese into the pond I looked both ways before I pulled the trigger and boom hit the goose at "50knots with no smoke" sorry about last post I'm getting use to this whole forum layout.. 16237728122298762448810287230180.jpg

I posted on youtube as a public safety announcement. these boats are fast so be safe with these big fast boats

IRONCLAD RC yt channel

I want this boat to work but damn it's tough. It's weird how I can make a pass one way and it hops like crazy and when you go the opposite way it stays planted? I think you can shove an anchor in this hull and it'll still bounce..lol. What I hate the most is how much I have to work the throttle to keep it from bouncing. I know PB reads these forums so I expect a V2 sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by 30notsnosmoke View Post
    Yes I accidentally killed a goose with the 42. A dog run a small flock of geese into the pond I looked both ways before I pulled the trigger and boom hit the goose at "50knots with no smoke" sorry about last post I'm getting use to this whole forum layout.. 16237728122298762448810287230180.jpg

I posted on youtube as a public safety announcement. these boats are fast so be safe with these big fast boats

IRONCLAD RC yt channel
    That's not so bad for hitting a duck..

Instead of putting weight into boat I moved esc forward it actually helped with the flipping also runs better with the wind acts as a wing into the wind. I love this Boat. Just check stuffing tube alignment at collet and file a little longer flat spot on driveshaft so there's more room for shaft to contract I think it needs more than 1-2mm between bushing and drivedog.

i’m expecting mine to be delivered thursday, i’ve never posted here but stalked for years. anyone thinking of putting some trim tabs on to help keep the nose down? id rather not add weights.

From what I understand trimtabs on a cat is a no non use the strut to adjust the ride of your boat down strut = bow down. Up strut angle = bow up..

Whats the link on youtube mate?

Well i am finally going to head to the river and get some time on the Blackjack. It'll be my first ever boat experience, could get interesting. I was hoping to get some downward thrust on the drive but bending the stuffing tube(?) seemed to be a little more than what I'm willing to try and best I can get is parallel with the bottom of the hull and that has the bottom of the tube even with the hull bottom. Hope it runs fairly stable as I definately dont want it to flip.

To those that are trying to get to warp speed with this boat, what is an acceptable high speed, and how many crashes at speed are acceptable before damage is done?. If you take the boat for what it is, I really like it. It would be great for a spec class of racing. Its a fairly inexpensive BIG boat, not the fastest in the world, but not supposed to be, not the strongest boat, but its not carbon / kevlar either. Any person with a little r/c ability can buy, and have fun, its really big inside, has a ton of room inside. If you bought a boat and the first time you drove it, you went full throttle the whole charge, would you would say it needs more power?. This boat at 55 mph starts getting a little loose, but there is still more in it, seems cool to me. Mainly, I dont understand why so many try to compare this $600 boat to a $1500 boat. Its kinda like the Traxxas Slash Truck when it first came out, scale looks, and fairly inexpensive, all around fun in most weather or water.

you guys running the boat, has anyone touched motor timing or left it at 7.5? real new to electric boats, there’s no carbs in this thing

Hello all.. ive seen your videos on YouTube and also stories at FB ProBoat group.

My head is like fixed to get this baby track low and fast. As some of you might have already seen. Ripped off the styro and planted 200g led at nose. Better but not good yet. Next step is to add more weight at nose and pinpoint the speed I want to be able to ride on.

I?ve noticed everything affects everything. Static CG, thrust angle, dynamic CG, target speed where are you aiming for or aiming only good control.

Im at work trip now and when coming back will add 8s batteries instead of 6s after getting it plaan well. More power = more trouble. If it?s not working with 6s.. yeah not with 8s

What becomes to trim tabs. I?ve also studied they are out of question in cats but for example my veles29 is super stable with them. Pond or big pool I could say quides my target speed. By reducing top speed with drag increasing trims handling got so much better. It was good trade off. It?s now like locked on.

Have a good one and let?s keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by GoFastNow View Post
    To those that are trying to get to warp speed with this boat, what is an acceptable high speed, and how many crashes at speed are acceptable before damage is done?. If you take the boat for what it is, I really like it. It would be great for a spec class of racing. Its a fairly inexpensive BIG boat, not the fastest in the world, but not supposed to be, not the strongest boat, but its not carbon / kevlar either. Any person with a little r/c ability can buy, and have fun, its really big inside, has a ton of room inside. If you bought a boat and the first time you drove it, you went full throttle the whole charge, would you would say it needs more power?. This boat at 55 mph starts getting a little loose, but there is still more in it, seems cool to me. Mainly, I dont understand why so many try to compare this $600 boat to a $1500 boat. Its kinda like the Traxxas Slash Truck when it first came out, scale looks, and fairly inexpensive, all around fun in most weather or water.
    I'll compare the BJ 42 to my other $600 boats or even cheaper ones. None of them give me the headache this boat does. My M-41 has only blown over once, sonic wake has never blown over. My Zelos 36 is less than $100 more than the BJ 42 and the difference is night and day. At this point, I'm just trying to justify the $600 spent on it.

When this boat was announced, I thought about it...but, I also decided to wait, to see how others liked (or hated) it. Part of this decision was based on them having used Lexan for the hull. I worked in the plastics industry 30+ years ago, and I had a VERY strong feeling this was a bad decision of ProBoat's/Horizon Hobby's part.

While Lexan is one of the strongest, and most indestructible, plastics made it it has other characteristics that area, most definitely, NOT complimentary to bring used in a boat hull...especially one as thin as that is an RC Boat. Even with the additional internal bracing (which is also plastic...and, a more flexible plastic, at that), is impossible to completely remove the 'flex' inherent in thin Lexan. Compare the thickness of the BJ42's hull against that is the SonicWake, and you'll instantly notice the difference.

Regarding the hopping, while it's probably safe to assume the great majority of this is attributed to the hull material, part of it could be attributed to a weight-balance problem. I know some are trying to 'resolve' this through adding weights and/or moving electronics further forward...but, did to the flex of the Lexan, to be completely honest, I don't foresee any of these 100% removing the hop. Adjusting the strut could help more than the other two methods, but the song the weights, and adjusting the strut, will probably help the most. I say this, not as someone overly familiar with FE boats (I've only been into FE for about a year), but as someone with a familiarity of plastics.

As for me, I've decided to NOT get the BJ42.

The problem with me is that I like ANY new boat that shows up at the hobby shop..lol Now I'm anxiously awaiting for the Impulse 32 (and no Lexan!)

Okay, yesterdays maiden went fine although slow. Never went over 75% throttle as my location is not ideal if flip the boat (narrow section with unexpected boat traffic) Anyway as others have pointed out the 42 was a little bouncing and I was running the drive quite shallow in hopes of reducing the hop but no dice. Could someone explain the balancing aspect, I did it in third of the hull length from the back (should I be including the drive for this measurement?) and after adding 7 ounces up towards the front the boat is pretty nose heavy. JonMar put 200 g up front and that is wayyy more than my 7 ozs. Going to give it a try in a more open open area today and see how it goes. If im comfortable I'll let er rip a few times and see how it goes.

Default Going to start out with 1oz in front of the ESC

Well, I am heading down the lake and doing a lot of testing with some RC weights that I got from my LHS. They are 1/2oz sticky adhesive weights that i can stuff up front under the stroyafoam.
    I am going to start out with 1 strip which equals 1oz and see if that will help keep the boat from coming up on me on 8s. Plus, I lowered my strut a bit so the boat of the boat will stay down more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast