Thread: MaH question

Default MaH question

I just purchased two GensAce Basher 3s 8000mah 100c lipos for my PB Sonicwake. Will this give the total capacity of 16,000mah and hence a much longer run time?? Im no battery expert......

Thanks,

-Fireman

Quote Originally Posted by awfireman View Post
    I just purchased two GensAce Basher 3s 8000mah 100c lipos for my PB Sonicwake. Will this give the total capacity of 16,000mah and hence a much longer run time?? Im no battery expert......

Thanks,

-Fireman
    To the first half of your inquiry, no...in-series, it'll be equivalent to a single 6S 8000mAh battery.

As for the second half, yes, it will give you a longer runtime...but, on the stock electronics, of you run it at full-throttle the entire time, expect to seriously overheat everything - batteries, ESC, and motors. Overheat enough, and you might even get to enjoy a nice display of fire out on the water. Our another way, higher-capacity batteries is a way to get longer runtime...but, it's also a way to potentially seriously overheat everything. There are two ways (individually, or in tandem) you can reliably increase runtime: a lower kV motors and/or smaller prop. The "down side" to either/both is a slower top-end speed...but, again, you will achieve a longer runtime. However, at least you'll be doing it safely.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

If you run the batteries in a parallel set up you will have a 3-S 16000 mah
    battery. If you hook them in series, you will have a 6-S 8000 mah situation
    Two very different power configurations.

Rule of Thumb:
    Batts hooked in parallel add capacity, volts stays the same.
    Batts hooked in series adds volts, capacity stays the same.
    Do only with batteries of same manufacturer and type. Bad things happen when you mis-match batt types.

I would like to add just because you water cool your esc and motor doesn't mean it's enough for extended periods. Water cooling only helps for so long and doesn't mean you can keep going. I find 5 minutes a very long time to run a boat that is water cooled but how hot your set up determines how long you can actually go. My race boats would be very hot after 3 or 4 minutes so don't think you can just add more mah and go for 8 or 10 minutes. Yes some can go that long on really mild setups but not fast ones.