Thread: Leapord 4074 1400 Kv motor help

Default Leapord 4074 1400 Kv motor help

I just bought one of these motors. Trying to find the ideal ESC timing for it. I've read specific windings ( y versus D ) like certain timing. The specs on OSE show this: 1400KV 3Y (7). I know what the KV means; however, what is the 3Y and the (7) telling me?

Thanks all.

Jim

There are two configurations of wire windings inside the motor, either D or Y. D prefers lower timing 0-7.5* and Y prefers higher timing like 10-15*. The number is not really important for this discussion, but has to do with the number of wraps of wire through each slot in the motor can.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

The number 4 indicates how many "Turns" , or loops, that are made through the holes in the stator. These loops make up a "coil". In the case of this Leopard which is a 4 pole 12 slot motor, there are two coils per Leg, and with three legs, you have a total of 6 coils in your motor. And for a 6 pole 18 slot motor you still have the 3 Legs, but now we have 3 coils per leg, for a total of 9 coils.

Leopard, as well as a few other brands describe their number of Turns as having to do with just ONE coil. Some other manufactures describe it as the number of turns for all the coils on one leg. So the Leopard motor above would be called an 8 turn wind, ( 4 turns X 2 coils). If we had a 6 pole 18 slot motor and described it in this fashion, it would be called a 12 turn wind, (4 turns X 3 coils).

And the (7) in the OSE description means that they have seven of this particular wind in stock.

Thanks for replies. So it seems the Y in the term 3Y indicates this is a Y wind motor?

Correct.

Most people "think" that a Y (wye) needs 10-15* of timing.

I run everything at 10-15 D or Y and have seen no difference what so ever. I never even pay attention to the timing anymore, I just run them at whatever the esc is set at. And most are in the 10-15 range.