Thread: GrimRacer 42 x 55 Prop on Sonic Wake

Default GrimRacer 42 x 55 Prop on Sonic Wake

I just purchased a B+S GrimRacer 42 x 55 Prop from OSE and plan to mount it on my PB Sonicwake. Will this prop be faster than the stock prop? I didnt want to go bigger because of issues with frying the electronics. I live on a pond here in Plymouth,Ma and all I can say is that the SW is a whole lot of fun and very happy with the purchase. I dont know much about props which is why I am asking the question...I do know a the GR 42x55 is smaller than the stock, but figured since it was balanced and sharpened it would be both quicker and faster than the stock CNC prop. I am wrong thinking this?

TIA

Fireman

It looks like your stock prop was about 44mm diameter and a 1.6 pitch and your new prop is a bit smaller at 42mm diameter with less pitch so I would guess you won?t see any extra speed. You did buy a balanced prop which will be more efficient and if you are running on 6s it could prove to be faster. Have to test it out!

If you want more speed you will likely have to go up in prop size or pitch but keep an eye on your temperatures of your electronics because the bigger prop will put more load on your system.

Hi RossCo,

I tried the 42 x 55 and it slowed the boat down considerably....back to the drawing board!

Well that?s what I thought would happen.... Maybe try the octura x645 or x646. They are a little bigger than stock and have the same pitch.

Which one would you try, the x645 or x 646? I just installed a dual rudder pick-up so any overheating issues may not be a problem with a slightly larger prop.

Beware, the electronics in this boat are minimal (to keep original cost down).
    Therefore, if you are looking for more speed, you may burn up the stock motor/esc going beyond design limits.
    Are you using 4 or 6 cells? What speeds do you have now?
    Also with increased speed, handling issues will be exacerbated.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Personally I've had great success using the Grim 42x55 on my Sonicwake on 6s. IMHO it's fast and stable with no overheating problems. I would highly recommend this prop over the stock prop. Maybe not as fast but much more enjoyable and stays on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Crash View Post
    Personally I've had great success using the Grim 42x55 on my Sonicwake on 6s. IMHO it's fast and stable with no overheating problems. I would highly recommend this prop over the stock prop. Maybe not as fast but much more enjoyable and stays on the water.
    Hi Capt. I bought th2 GR 42x55 prop (B+S) from Steve at OSE....the boat is considerably slower. Running the stock prop. my boat stays glued pretty well to the water, even under windy and rough conditions. Is your 42x55 detongued? Mine is not, maybe thats the problem with mine. It is not.

Hi awfireman. My Grim 42x55 is only balanced and sharpened not detongued which will cause some drag and slow the boat down a bit for better stability and that was the whole idea behind why I'm using it. I found the boat to be almost uncontrollable and running hot with the stock prop on 6s. I'm much happier with the Grim. I'm an old retired guy now so I'm not out to set any world speed records and break my boat in the process. I much prefer a stable boat that stays on the water over a super fast one that's upside down more than it's right side up.

Another excellent prop is the Octura or Doctorprops 440/3 blade. Now that I have the RC Boat Bitz trim tabs installed I get a little more speed, better cornering and good stability with that prop. Boat runs well temp wise with either prop.

At the end of the day it's all about experimenting until you are satisfied with the boat's performance.

Hi Captn,

My Sonicwake is glued man. I read a lot about the boat being tough to keep in the water on 6s....I have not had this problem. My PB Blackjack 29 and Kyosho Jetstream were way worse. This thing is soooo much fun on 6s, I havent even run it on 4s. Im using a big GensAce 6s 5500 60c and push it as far forward as it will go. Also, I havent had any overheating issues, even before I installed the RC BoatBitz dual rudder pickup, trims, and stinger. I wasnt a huge fan of the graphics so replaced it with a vinyl wrap. I posted a few pics yesterday in a different thread.

Funny you mentioned Doctorprops....I just ordered a 2 blade and 3 from them. They were on vacation last week so props should ship tomorrow.

This boat is very fun and PB did a great job IMO.

Thanks for the conversation!

-Fireman

Happy to hear you are enjoying your Sonicwake. Just thought I'd mention I was very impressed with the quality of Doctorprops but they took about 5 weeks to arrive in Canada pre covid so be prepared to wait a while but you won't be disappointed.