Thread: Brushless motor identification question

Default Brushless motor identification question

A question on numbers associated to a typical motor: What does IBL - 40/20 mean? What does the IBL mean and what does the 40/20 mean?
    (Ripper IBL - 40/20 2000KV)

Inrunner Brush Less. 40mm outer diameter but I dunno about the 20?? Could mean 2000kv??

It's quite possibly a Y wind but I would remove the rear plate to see if there is a termination joint.
    Nortavlag Bulc

What does a termination joint look like?

There will be a piece of heat shrink or some insulation of some type visible on the back or in rare cases in the from of the windings inside.

See the black insulation on the right side? It's not always that large or obvious.

Most times if a motor has this it is a Y wind and can use timing of 0* to 15* timing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

You could always email ACERC and ask them.
    Nortavlag Bulc

The second number in a motors size description, can mean a couple of different things. "Usually" it describes the length of the case in millimeters. Likewise, the first number can also describe a couple different things. 40/20 meaning in this instance, that the case is 40mm in diameter. But obviously, the case is longer than 20mm so the other thing this number would "usually" describe, is the length of the rotor and stator.

The picture makes you think that this is a good sized motor since the length looks to be about least three times the diameter. But in reality, it's tiny (for a 40mm diameter can) on the inside. With the motor in your hand you can look through the air hole on either end and there will be a lot of empty space.

As for the other thing that the first number can describe. That would be the rotor diameter. The only motor mfg. that I know of that depicts it that way Lehner , and that is actually a very good way to describe a motor. And to someone like me, that is the best way to describe your motors, because I care more about what's on the inside than what the outside measures.

If you were buying a new engine for your Chevy pick up. And you went to the "engine store", and the counter guy asked what size engine you would like to buy. Would you tell him "My truck is 23 feet long, and 6.5 feet wide' ????????? Could you imagine the look on his face!

Mega Motors and Tenshock also use the rotor's diameter and length for their numbering system.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thanks Paul. I had forgotten that tenshock does that too. And I'm not familiar with mega motors.

Mega Motors were really popular here, but while still going are much less relevant than they used to be. At the dawn of the brushless revolution they were basically the only midrange motor option. Their performance was much closer to the Lehner Aveox Plettenberg Neu end of the scale, than the Feiago end of the scale, for about Leopard money before leopard existed. They sat kinda where TP sit now. But as they gained reputation and popularity their prices went up, at this point they are a not quite high end performing motor at not quite high end prices, not a bad deal by any means, and I rate their quality higher than their Chinese competition, but if you are willing to buy Chinese there are much better bang for the bucks available.

I think their motors are also a bit small for most USA racing classes since LiPos, with 16 and 22mm rotors in 28 and 36mm cans.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 04-28-2021 at 05:26 AM.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.